MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2001, 05:55 PM   #1
vande97
Registered Member

Unhappy idle problem...please help!!!!

I have a 88 5.0lx. this car has been sitting for awhile because of the winter we have been having. But the other day i started it and it fired right up. I drove it around awhile then i shut it off and went to start it again and it started but almost died and the idle was going up and down for a few miniutes but then it strighten right out. Some times it would just die on the start up.
If anyone could help me figure out what i got going on that would be a great help!!
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 03:11 AM   #2
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Remove the throttle body, EGR valve, and spacer. Then get a couple cans of carb cleaner and some parts cleaning brushes and clean all of the EGR dust out of them.

This solved my idle problem and the car runs better than it ever has.

By the way, this forum is for topics other than tech talk. You should post topics like this in the Windsor forum if you want a better response.
------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site

[This message has been edited by AxemanZZ (edited 01-09-2001).]
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 06:43 AM   #3
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
Idle problems is usually related to quite a few things, and this question has been asked numerous times (once by me even). You should do a search in the Windsor Power forum.

In the mean time, the following are most popular reasons for bad idle (and sometomes engine shuts off - happened to me as well):
  • Throttle body needs cleaning
  • [b]Oxygen sensor needs replacing/fixed[b]
  • Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) needs adjustment

NOTE: O2 sensors are expensive if you get a mechanic to replace it. Anywhere from $100 and up. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you aren't experienced.

If you still have problems after trying these things, then you should take your car to a mechanic and have them run a diagnostic.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 09:08 AM   #4
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Oxygen sensors are a piece of cake to install and my wife could even change one.

Do the cleaning on the TB first and if that doesn't solve your problem all you'll have left is the O2 sensors since you'll have to check the TPS when you reinstall the TB anyway.

I forgot to mention, you need to get some new gaskets when you do the throttle body cleaning. When I did mine all the gaskets were wasted. I got mine from Napa and they run me like $6.00 for the TB, EGR, and EGR spacer. Good luck.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 02:49 AM   #5
Capri306

(Agreeing with AxemanZZ)

Moved to Windsor Power Forum

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch <--- New Timeslips
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 09:27 AM   #6
evilmustang
Registered Member

Sorry for the late response, just loined tonight. Do everything from the response above, however remove the idle air bypass valve and clean it with carb/injection cleaner. It has two openings on it make sure you clen them out good, and let it dry after your done. Make sure you replace the gasket too. This solve my idle problem.
evilmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 09:54 PM   #7
vande97
Registered Member

thanks for the response, i have just one more question, where might i find the oxygen sensor on the car? i know this may sound like i know nothing about cars but hey just one of thos things, is it right by the TB?
thanks again

Quote:
Originally posted by evilmustang:
Sorry for the late response, just loined tonight. Do everything from the response above, however remove the idle air bypass valve and clean it with carb/injection cleaner. It has two openings on it make sure you clen them out good, and let it dry after your done. Make sure you replace the gasket too. This solve my idle problem.
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 11:44 PM   #8
MDM
Registered Member

The o2 sensors are in your h-pipe, which also contains the cat(s). It attaches to your headers. When you raise your car, you will see 2 welded fittings in the h-pipe and the o2 sensors will be screwed into them. 3 wires will run to each sensor, as mustangs use the heated variety. Hope swapping them out fixes your problem. I usually replace o2 sensors in the neighborhood of every 50000 miles as preventative maintenance.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote