MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2001, 10:20 PM   #1
dashapht
Registered Member

Unhappy Problems with TFS engine combo..wont idle right and sputters when you give it throttl

I'm having a few problems with my 93 coupe. The combo is as follows: TFS twisted wedge heads, 1.6 ford roller rockers, tfs stage 1 cam, track heat intake, mac 70mm TB, 24 lb motorsport injectors (also swapped the sampling tube on my MAF meter for 24 lbers.), edelbrock water pump, be cool radiator (these items just installed), and i already had 73mm MAF sensor, exhaust, and a shifter. There are a few problems. The first problem is that when i start the car, it hunts for the idle like mad. I have it set to about 1000 rpm right now. If i set it any lower, the car dies because of the hunting idle. Being set to 1000 rpm just barely keeps it alive until it finally reaches idle. TPS voltage is set to .980 Is this ok? Any suggestions on resetting idle to make it work?
The second problem is that when at idle, the car is fine as far as running smooth, but once you give it a little gas or driev at part throttle, it sputters and backfires. The timing is set to 12 degrees. The fuel pump is stock. I have a BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but the guage BBK sent me came with the wrong fitting so I have absolutely NO idea where the fuel pressure is. It was running EXTREMELY rough at idle and the we played with the regulator a little, which allowed us to at least drive it around the block. A friend that works at a Ford dealership is bringing me one to use to set until i get my in-line pressure guage. Can low/high fuel pressure cause this? I'm leaning toward that pretty heavily since we have gone through and re-adjusted the rockers (installed new lifters, and wanted to re-adjust them after they got filled with oil), double checked timing, checked for vacuum leaks, and double checked TPS voltage. I'm kind of at a loss here since this is my first 5.0 to heavily modify, but it seems that as many mustangs are owned and modified, it'll be pretty easy to figure out a solution. Thanks for any help/ideas you can give me.

dashapht is offline   Reply With Quote