MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-16-2001, 09:16 PM   #1
Saleen308
Registered Member

Post Idle problems & slight surging

My car has been put up for most of the winter. I decided to get her out and start driving her again. I had a dead battery and my alarm decided to go out. I got both of those things resolved.

When the car is cold the idle is fine but, when it is warmed up it trys to idle any where around 1400rpms to 2100 rpms. Even after reving it a couple of times it still does it. Sometimes going down the highway it acts like it is trying to surge. It does it more at lower rpms than it does at higher rpms.

I added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner but, I haven't ran that tank out yet. I am thinking about adding a bottle of HEET just in case the surging is related to water being in the gas tank.

Any guesses?

------------------
347 stroker, TFS track heat heads ported and polished, ported GT-40 intake,70mm TB ans spacer,75mm MAF,K&N,24lb injectors,1 5/8" mac long tubes, off road h-pipe, FMS "z" cam, FMS plug wires, NGK plugs, FMS aluminum drive shaft, Omega 1.6 RR, FMS 3 core radiator, Flowkooler waterpump, World class T5, Pro 5.0 shifter, Autometer Fuel psi gauge, Autometer A/F gauge, caster camber plates, Koni reds, Pan hard bar, S.S. brake lines, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, Walbro 255lph FP, Lakewood drivesha
Saleen308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 06:27 AM   #2
slider
Registered Member

The right way would be to scann for codes first. You might have a faulty sensor.

And if you want my quick guess from your description, I would say clogged fuel filter and fuel regulator. The injector cleaners pick up alot of deposits from the fuel tank, sending them to your rails.

david
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 11:08 AM   #3
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Do the regular fuel filter, pcv valve, and tune up if you haven't done that in a while. I'd also think that maybe the IAB on the side of the throttle body is sticking, it might need a cleaning.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 01:20 PM   #4
Saleen308
Registered Member

I have a fuel pressure gauge mounted on the cowl. Fuel pressure looks just like it always has. Normally when I get a clogged fuel filter the pressure starts acting funny.

The check engine light has not come on at all so I am not sure if there would be any codes to retrieve.
Old 03-17-2001, 04:51 PM   #5
poopstang
Registered Member

clean the TB, IAB and check the MAPsensor?
poopstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 04:53 PM   #6
slider
Registered Member

hmm no codes, eh

If the fuel regulator its clogged or bad, can you tell by looking at a fuel pressure guage?

how about distributor cap and rotor?

Old 03-17-2001, 05:16 PM   #7
MY91GT
Registered Member

How about the idle air motor? It might need to be reset or it went bad. With an X cam, you are going to run into problems with a steady idle but if it was running fine before then something is probally wrong. You can also try to adjust your FP and timing...when mine goes out of wack, i can fix it with just tuning it.
just my opinion

------------------
TW Heads, Edlebrock RPM, 75mm TB, 75mm MM, Anderson N-2 cam, stock block, underdrives, paxton regulator, bbk 155 intank, 30lbers, motorsport alum rad msd ignition and coil, 3.73 gear, Tremec 3550, Motorsport HD clutch, K&N, hooker shorties, pacesetter h-pipe, and dynomax cat back, mac upper and lower control arms, no front sway bar. I think that's it. GO ILLINI!!!
Waiting for good weather for new times.
MY91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 05:41 PM   #8
slider
Registered Member

A code scanner
quick, use it
Old 03-17-2001, 07:21 PM   #9
Saleen308
Registered Member

Poopstang:

What does the map sensor do? and how can you tell if it is going bad?