MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-17-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
7up
Registered Member

Default AFtermarket or factory fender

I need a new drivers side front fender after being hit by the Suburban. Factory replacemts are over $300 and aftermarket are only $69 according to the body shop guy. ANyone have any experience with aftermarket fenders? Should I try my luck with the aftermarket? That's a huge difference in price.
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

If you care about quality and keeping the car, go factory replacement. If you just want to slap something on there to get it on the road, go aftermarket.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 04:16 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Fender fix

Factory fenders (and all body parts) are way overpriced but they're usually better quality than aftermarket replacements. The fit is better and the finish is superior.

If you care about your car and want to keep it, go factory. If you plan to sell it in a year or so or are not that fussy about it, go with the cheaper non-factory fender.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:20 PM   #4
Mach 1
Registered Member

Just make sure the body shop guy doesnt charge you $300 for a factory fender and then put the $69.00 cheapo on there. Actually, you should be able to tell...the quality difference is that apparant.

Your best bet is to get a fender from a salvage yard. Factory quality at a discount price.
RHC member #142
Old 08-17-2002, 06:48 PM   #5
7up
Registered Member

I've known the guy for a while so I know he won't jerk me around, but thanks for the warning. I think I will look around and see if I can find a used one.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:09 PM   #6
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Default aftermarket fender

i was hit on the passenger side of my 87 mustang gt and i bought an aftermarket one for $125.00 canadian (since i live in Onatrio). I had absoluteley no problems putting it on, and i did so myself, your best bet would be to get one of these and don't even touch a used one cause you will probobly be paying the same price for a used one as you would and aftermarket piece and you also have to go through all the trouble to locate a descent one. I am not sure if you have a gt or an lx but if you have a gt like me all that was required was to drill out some holes for the skirt and that was it. Good luck
Old 08-18-2002, 07:15 PM   #7
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Default aftermarket fender

oh yeah i forgot to mention that i can guarantee you there is no diference in material from factory stock fenders to aftermarket, same steel being used here just overpriced for factory fenders, trust me. I love my stang and i would only use quality products so from what the other people are telling you about quality, to me both are the same just ford's parts are overpriced. Plus with the money you save from buying aftermarket you can get the fender painted, Just think about it.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:50 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation New, used or aftermarket?

87 GT:

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

I've seen side-by-side fenders and quarters from both Ford and aftermarket companies and the difference was noticable. See how your bargain aftermarket fender holds up after a few years. Maybe it will, maybe not. Hope it does.

I'm not going to advise anyone to go cheap when the factory part is superior - but overpriced. That's why buying used factory parts is the best compromise. On the other hand, if you're selling the car in a year, the aftermarket fender is fine, as long as it finishes and takes the paint well.

Anyway, it's not our decision to make but now I'm sure 7up is throughly confused and probably sorry he asked.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 08:58 PM   #9
Mach 1
Registered Member

I agree with Mr 5.0. No way aftermarket quality is the same as the factory. Its easy to see if you have them both in front of you. If not, you might not know enough to be able to tell the difference.

As far as the same metal....I wouldnt go there eithier. Maybe the same steel, but probably chemically treated differently. The factory part is probably anodized or some kind of treatment to prevent rust, where Im willing to bet the cheapo repo. piece is not at all treated to prevent corrosion.

Like I said, get a fender from a junk yard. As long as its not rusted or dented, you will be ok, after all, its gonna need to be repainted anyway, no matter what you get. Who knows, you might even get lucky and find the same color in the bone yard.
RHC member #142
Old 08-18-2002, 09:32 PM   #10
7up
Registered Member

After talking to numerous people and hearing your responses I am not going to get an aftermarket fender. I am going to try and find a used factory fender and if that fails I guess I will get a new one and sleep well at night. THanks for all the help.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:23 PM   #11
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Default aftermarket fenders

ok, i just wanna make a point here, i took welding in college and know all about metals, i have seen aftermarket and factory fenders and like i said they are the same kind of steel, same thickness in steel and what happens to all steel if it's not treated properly, they rust. My point being that if you buy an aftermarket or factory piece they are gonna be the same if not treated properly. I had taken off the whole front end of my car and i even matched up the good side fender to the aftermarket fender to see for myself and guess what?? they were the same, You asked for help and i gave it to you, these others guys, have they been in an accident, have they tore their car apart i don't know but what i do know is i have and like i stated b4 i WOULD NOT put a piece of **** on my car, and the aftermarket fender has been on there for three and a half years now with no incident, my car is a show car, so i would not put anything but quality on there, just because something says FORD on it doesn't meen it's quality.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:42 PM   #12
Mach 1
Registered Member

Rest assured, myself and Mr 5.0 are speaking from experience. Maybe you got a quality piece, maybe you didnt. But enough other people know better, so just keep an open mind.

The metal is protected by primer and paint from corrosion, so you wont see any difference in that area more than likely unless the paint chips or it corrodes from the inside out, or after a long time...
RHC member #142
Old 08-19-2002, 11:59 AM   #13
7up
Registered Member

The body shop guy I am going to use who I have known for 8 years was showing the difference in factory and aftermarket on a car he was working on. It was a Honda CRV and he was putting an aftermarket hood on instead of factory. You could see the gaps were bigger in the front than in the back and it sat too high on one side. He said sometimes you get aftermaket pieces that fit and sometimes you don't. He was pretty hesitant to even look up the aftermarket price, but since he did and it was so low I figured I would check out some other oppinions. The overwhelming majority have said only get it if you are going to sell your car soon or don't car about your car. Maybe you got a good one 87 Mustang GT, but it seems as though you were very lucky. IMO
Old 08-19-2002, 11:30 PM   #14
gofastmercury
Registered Member

Nothing like beating a dead horse...
I've been a licensed bodyman for 8 years and there is no way I'd use any aftermarket body part on any of my cars. I've fought with trying to make them fit at work for years and it just sucks. And yes, the ODD time the dam thing fits, but not often enough for me. SOME things are just what you pay for....
corrects to:13.86@100
66 merc comet351w, isky roller 600 lift 268/260@.050, vic jr. 700DP, 5000stall, 4.56's c-4, 3400lbs with driver
12.3@110 @ 4000ft 1.69 60 ft
corrects to:11.69@115
gofastmercury is offline   Reply With Quote