MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2001, 09:16 AM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Question Ignition upgrade questions

This is a similar theme to my previous post. My 100K miles 90 notch has a completely original ignition sytem, 1990 date coded motorcraft wires and all. The distributor cap just failed on me the other day and I was able to walk to a parts store and get a replacment and fix it without any tools!!!!! That was too cool.

That was a cheapo wells cap cover and rotor. I want to get a nice cap$rotor, wires and coil set. What are some good ones to go for???
Or to go more insane a MSD or similar box, replace the stock distributor?? or maybe a new or improved TFI module? What problems are caused with aftermarket dist or modules with the computer???

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch Finally rebuilt T-5.

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo

Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 01:09 PM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

I went with the Motorcraft cap and rotor kit and 9mm Motorsport wires, about $35 each from Mustangs Unlimited or Summit. I also went with the Crane HI-6S ignition kit that comes with a new Crane HI-6 ignition and PS91 coil setup that installs easily in an hour or two, I got it from Summit for $160.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit, Nitto D/R's and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 10:48 AM   #3
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Talking

I checked out the specs on the Crane Hi 6 in my Jegs, looks nice, but they want $160 for the module alone , gotta get a new summit, mine is pretty old.

The MSD TFI blaster coil looked interesting for $45.

Does it work like a HEI if you put a MSD or Crane box etc in it will bypass the TFI module and will wire to the coil directly?

I like the idea of scrapping the TFI system for a reliable module

Can I just use a reglar blaster coil etc, or should I get a bolt in replacement like the MSD one ??

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch Finally rebuilt T-5.

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo

Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 11:04 AM   #4
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I went with the ACCEL 300+ ignition system, it has the coil and was already setup for the EEC-IV. Its a nice system, but so far I've burnt out 2 rotors. I use the Motorcraft brass terminal cap, so I experimented and found the cheapo Wells rotor works best, I haven't burnt one out yet. I've also got the 9mm wires, but I'm getting rid of those soon too.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 02:14 PM   #5
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

im running 300+..very trick peice and not too pricey..get a msd6al if you plan on boosting it or getting NOS thou so a BTM or a multistep retard will plug right in

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote