MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2001, 10:12 PM   #1
Capri306

Angry I'm about ready to shoot my AOD.......

Okay, this thing is REALLY starting to tick me off. I just reinstalled my AOD that I completely rebuilt, and still NO GO in any gear (yes it's full of fluid, linkage is all hooked up properly, etc.); that was the reason I rebuilt it in the first place. One night about 2 weeks ago it just went POP! without warning and wouldn't move anywhere. The rebuild went pretty well, nothing special except monkeying around with the Ford dealer for parts. The clutches, steels, and bands were all burned and pitted like you wouldn't believe.

Anyhoo, now after I shut the engine off the trans has a ratcheting sound to it, kinda like an industrial blender coming to a stop. I'm now theorizing that the torque converter could be the problem. Does this sound feasible? Do these damn things just pop like that? I've never seen it before, but this is my first experience (AND LAST) with AOD converters. Any help is appreciated; I miss cruising in the 'Notch.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 10:23 AM   #2
gofastlx
Registered Member

When you reinstalled it did the converter seat all the way on the input shaft. Also the fluid will take some time to work it through the system. It took me about 10 minutes of adding fluid b4 mine began to move..Just a thought.

Rob
gofastlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 09:14 AM   #3
Mach 1
Registered Member

Did u flush your converter and get all the old fluid and clutch material out of it?

Also, maybe you didnt torque the pump properly? I never rebuilt one, but my memory tells me that someone who did this had a similar problem, and the pump that is in the front of the case wasnt installed corectly. He pulled it apart again, retightend the pump bolts, and all was well.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote