MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-07-2001, 06:06 PM   #1
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

Question Im Looking for advice

Hey ppl, wats up , my names Danny and i just got an 89 GT with about 148,000 miles on it. Its in really good shape because it was owned by this guy who really took care of it. its a 5 speed. I am really looking for some advice on wat i should start doing to the car to make it quicker. I have already put an off road H-pipe and flows on it. I also put an underdrive pulley kit on it as well. Oh yeah and i added a K&N filter. I was wondering what might be your recommedations for my next steps. I know the car has high mileage and maybe you could direct me in a way to improve wat i got.
I would greatly appreciate any honest information. Thank you
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 05:08 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Smile

What's up Danny? You should drop in a probe 347 stroker with a vortech mondo blower and a 2 spd powerglide tranny. Just kidding. What kind of driving are you going to do and what is your budget(very important). The weakest link on a stock 5.0 engine are the biggest air constrictions: the heads and intake.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 05:57 AM   #3
PKRWUD

THERE YOU ARE!!! Where've you been? We won the Senior Sprint Car Championship last saturday night!! I wish you had been there. We still race this saturday, but we're far enough ahead in the points that it doesn't matter. Try and make it down!! I hope to see you there!

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 07:49 AM   #4
88PONY
Registered Member

Thumbs down

First things first! Get rid of those Flowcloggers. Smokedchevy has a point there...What direction do you want to go? Drag,road race,nice handler. I would say do the gears, but you could go all the way up to 4:56. Most common is 3:73. Also a nice shifter and clutch set-up with an adjustable cable would be nice. Give the car a good tune-up, even an MSD box. You would be suprised on what little work will make these cars fly.

Good Luck

------------------
88 Notch Natually aspirated 750 carb Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake and heads 306/ATI C-4 4500 stall 4:10's 26x10.5 M/T MAC longtubes/prochamber Dynomax Race magnumss dumped, Caged and ready to go!!! 11.8@115

And remember friends don't let friend drive MOPARS!!!
88PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 08:49 AM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Throw in a set of 3:73's, add a shifter, and bigger MAF with a K&N, in your stock box, and the silencer removed. That'll drop a few tenths off your ET, won't cost too much, and make daily driving much more fun.
Bump your timing up to around 14 degrees and run 93 octane. This helps low end torque and still gives you a few more pony's.
Then, start saving money for a rebuild. You can add the heads, intake, and cam you want when you rebuild the motor.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Dynomax cat-back, MN-12 perf. offroad downtubes and Y-pipe w/ Magnaflow resonator, 80mm MAF with cone filter, B&M trans cooler, Inject-Tech chip, MAC U/D pulleys, KVR front brake upgrade, SVO 70mm TB. 15.2 @ 91 w/ just chip and MAF. 14's next time to the track.

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd

[This message has been edited by 91LX2Bfast (edited 11-08-2001).]
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 09:03 AM   #6
Mach 1
Registered Member

testing, disregard
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote