MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2001, 09:53 AM   #1
riceboyskiller
Registered Member

Question injector size----HELP ME

Good morning guyz!!!!

I am planning to built an healthy street small block that can put about 400-450hp.

I already have a 6lbs powerdyne and trick flow street intake.I also have a 12:1 fmu given with the blower kit.

what is the best injector size for my engine.I heard 24lbs will be fine with a 12:1 but 30lbs are better without the fmu but i have to recalibrate the EEC on a chassis dyno!!! What do you thinck about that

------------------
92 black LX
riceboyskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 03:20 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

I'd go with the 30lb injectors.The computer chips are mandatory for large injectors because the engine loses control of the injectors at low speed. The pulse width required is smaller than the injector can respond to when turning on and off again. This results in hard starts and fouled plugs. You want an injector to run at about 80% duty cycle, that way it's meterd carefully and you're getting all the fuel you can handle. However this requires larger injectors that need tuning, so you could even go with 38lbs on a 450 horse engine, but it's going to need to be tuned with a chip by an experienced person.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 07:02 AM   #3
riceboyskiller
Registered Member

Question

Tanx a lot man. So if i understood i can put 30lbs on with the correct mass air and scratch the fuckin fmu without any trouble??

------------------
92 black LX
riceboyskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 02:39 AM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

I'd leave the FMU on even with the injectors. If the manifold had 6psi of boost, and the regulator was set for 40 psi and has no connection to the manifold, the pressure on the injector is 34#'s. You need to overcome the pressure working against the injector inside the intake, that's where the FMU comes in handy. Confused yet?

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 04:02 PM   #5
bada$$lx

Cool

I'd go w/ the 30#ers. Also, if you got another grand lying around , I'd ditch the stock heads if I were you. Those stockers are holding your car back....BIG TIME!

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')