MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-03-2002, 01:37 AM   #1
Mac_5.0
Registered Member

Default Installing BBK Equal Length Shorties!

I have just purchased a set of BBK Equal Length Shortie Hedders and I wondering if anyone has any tips to make the install process go smoothly? Any hints or tips would be great. I plan on installing them this weekend!
Old 07-03-2002, 07:20 AM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I have the same headers. Here are my recommendations:

1) Take your time and try not to get frustrated.

2) Plan on jacking up the passenger side of the engine in order for the headers to drop in.

3) The bolts on the flanges don't always line-up perfectly. You'll have to start the bolts that do go in smoothly (keeping them loose) and then try to get the others to go in. On one flange, I had to use a bar to pry the flange over (just slightly). Then, I was able to get them all in.

4) Have fun!

Good luck,
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:24 AM   #3
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Get ready to do some work, and make sure you have some patience. They are a pain to get in.

Here are some tips that might help you out...

1. Remove the sterring shaft between the firewall and the rack/pinion.
2. You might have to raise the block a little bit inorder for them to fit. Make sure you put a block of wood between the jack and the oil pan so you don't crush the pan. Unbolt the motor mounts from the K-member and raise it about 1". You'll have to install this from underneath the car.
3. Get youself a set of "Stage 8" bolts for your headers. These are designed to not back out. Over time, then normal header bolts will back out from the heat cycles. If you choose not to get these bolts, make sure you go back about a week later and double check the torque on the header bolts. Don't be suprised if you have to retighten
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:06 AM   #4
Mac_5.0
Registered Member

Default Sounds Good

Thanks guys, now as far as performance goes do you like the hedders?
Old 07-03-2002, 09:33 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I have the same headers and thy were not that hard to install.

The drivers side drops right in.

The passenger side you have to jack the engine up a little bit.

I like the performance and the sound I got from my BBK equal length headers. Not to mentiion they look sweet!

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

You only have to jack up the passenger side of the engine.

Definitely remove the dipstick tube.

You don't have to remove the steering shaft unless you absolutely are not having any kind of luck.

And definitely go back after about a week of driving and retighten those bolts because they will back out on you.

TIP: Don't try to use a socket. Get a 3/8 wrech and do it that way. There are few bolts that can be gotten with a socket.

TIP: Remove the air induction from the throttle body out to the filter. Of course you will see this when you get started.

It is not that hard.

Yes, I love my headers for the sound and the looks. Only bad thing is they will change colors unless you got the ceramic ones.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:39 AM   #7
Mac_5.0
Registered Member

Default Thanks for your help!

A friend and I tackled the install today. It went really well. No major problems at all. I like the look and finish of them and the sound difference is quite pleasant. Mine were bumped around a bit in shipping as the Jet Hot coating was a little scratched but all in all they are great. I noticed a bit of a drop in low end power but a definate increase at 3000 rpm and above.

Thanks again for all of your input!
Old 07-07-2002, 06:53 PM   #8
ADMS5OH
Registered Member

I finished installing BBK unequal ceramic shortys a few weeks ago. I was able to install both the drivers side and passenger side without raising the engine.

Like someone said earlier- just be patient. It took me 10 mins to bolt on the drivers side header but over an hour for the passenger side. Those #4 cyl bolts are a pain.

I managed to install the headers and replace the stock h-pipe with a vrs catted x-pipe in about 10 hrs working by myself. Also, this was my first time for a header install, so it should take you about half that time if youve done stuff like this before.
ADMS5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 07:01 PM   #9
HopingForAGT
Registered Member

do you think installing shorties is harder on a mustang that a 3rd gen camaro? Ive already tackled the install on my camaro by myself. Hardest parts was getting the manifolds off because GM for some reason put tabs over the bolts which had to be removed first . Im in the process of selling the camaro to get a fox and bbk headers will definetely be my first upgrade along with h pipe and flows.
flowmaster series 80
k&n open element
KYB shocks/struts
Eibach springs
16x8 TT IIs

1995 AODE Mustang GT
K&N Filter
HopingForAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 07:06 PM   #10
ADMS5OH
Registered Member

it was my first time doing it and i can honestly say that it was a lot easier than i expected. It just takes time. Like i said, the passenger side is the only place where you're going to get pissed off and frustrated. Just have a few beers and youll get through it. Best advice is to start as early as possible and to do it in the shade if you can. I also had the car up high on jackstands the whole time so my back wasnt hunched over for hours.
ADMS5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 11:59 PM   #11
HopingForAGT
Registered Member

everybody said that i would have to jack up the motor to get the pass side in on my camaro but i ended up removing the AC box for clearance. wasnt to bad but very frustating...and make sure you get all bolts started before tightening...#8 (very back on pass side) still has no bolt since it was the hardest and i saved it for last and now it doesnt line up
flowmaster series 80
k&n open element
KYB shocks/struts
Eibach springs
16x8 TT IIs

1995 AODE Mustang GT
K&N Filter
HopingForAGT is offline   Reply With Quote