MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-14-2001, 12:52 AM   #1
moponys
Registered Member

Thumbs up Installing a fuel pressure regulator

I think I need to get a fuel pressure regulator. I have 24lbs injectors and 190lph fuel pump and think I need to boost up the stock pressure to around 40psi. I have three questions:

Are they easy to install(come with directions or is it so easy you don't need them)and which type should I get?

Do I need to buy a fuel pressure gauge too or is there something on the regulator that tells me what it's set too?

Once I install the regulator, I was going to probably bump up the timing to about 16 degrees. Will the Octane I use need to be 93 or higher or is 92 enough? If 92 is not enough, is it okay to put octane boost into your tank at every fill up?

Thanks in advance!!!

I want to do this next friday and go to the track for the first time later that night.
moponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 07:16 AM   #2
egiap's 5.0
Registered Member

I use the crane fuel pressure regulater. And yes you will need to buy a gauge. I have my timing at 15 on 92 gas. If you set the timing to high your motor will let you know by pinging. Just back it off till it stops.

------------------
Independent Amsoil dealer. For needs or information about amsoil synthetic products leave a message. Ask about preffered customer program.
egiap's 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 01:30 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

Do not use octane boost with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The good ones will get destroyed by the alcohol.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:02 PM   #4
moponys
Registered Member

I installed the fuel pressure regulator and have it set to about 42psi. I have an AODE and the timing is set to 12. When it was at 14, it was pinging really badly. Since I've changed it to 12, it still pings every now and then. I always run 92 octane at fill ups. Is there any way to get rid of the pinging entirely and should I keep raising the fuel pressure to a certain point where the pinging goes away? What's the highest the fuel pressure should be set too?

Thanks-moponys
moponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:35 PM   #5
K.C. 5.0
Registered Member

If you pay attention while taking the other one out you shouldn't need instructions. I did mine in less then five minutes.
I've heard about the octane boost thing before. I've ran octane boost with my BBK fuel pressure regulator. How do you know if it's bad? My car still runs fine.

------------------
95gt 80k, MSD 6AL, MSD coil, pulleys, fpr, cold air kit, off road h-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73, fluidampener, 9mm wires, mega bite jr lowers, kennybrown subframe connectors, edelbrock performer intake, 70mm TB, Aluminum Driveshaft, Tri-Ax shifter.
K.C. 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 09:13 PM   #6
andy669
Registered Member

Keep your fuel pressure where its at. Raising it wont help the pinging. I'm not a big fan of cooler thermostats in the sn95's, but if you cant afford a chip that will turn the fan on earlier, a cooler thermostat would be my next suggestion. I'd also suggest a cold air induction kit, but they can have adverse effects on the mass air meter calibration. Your running good gas, your timing isnt terribly high, so the next thing is to try to reduce the temp of the air intake charge. What other mods do you have?
andy
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 09:26 PM   #7
stanger8172
Registered Member

Yeah, I would do what "egiap's5.0" said about "back it off till it stops". I retarded (kewl descriptive term, heh) the timing until it stopped pinging myself and it runs great now for me. I believe it has something to do with the warmer more humid air.
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 09:36 PM   #8
stanger8172
Registered Member

moponys,

By the way, I was having probs with my fuel pressure and I disconnected the line connecting to the top of the regulator. Then I hooked up an Accel fuel pressure gauge to it and at start up the pressure instantly went to 40psi. No matter how high I revved it stayed at 40psi.

According to Ford, isn't the stock pressure regulator supposed to go up to 40psi? If mine is stuck at 40psi should I get a new one? I need the xtra cash for my 2:73 to 3:55 gear install so...
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote