MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-17-2002, 03:23 PM   #1
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Default Installing Fuel Pump.....have ????'s

First off, I've never done any kind of fuel pump install on anything. I went under there and looked around and I know I have to lower the 2 straps with the 2 bolts towards the front of the car and lower the tank. I am also going to change the fuel filter, which I also saw. Anything I should look for or watch out for? I will probably have an extra person to help me with lowering the tank, although I have no more than a 1/4 tank of gas. Thanx in advance guys!

Matt

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 03:39 PM   #2
Conman
Registered Member

it is pretty straight forward and you shouldn't have any problems

a couple hints though:

1. burn as much gas out of it as you can

2. the pump comes out of the top of the tank, clean this area well before you pull the pump or else you will get dirt in your tank

3. you should use a brass punch to turn the thing that holds the pump in. Steel on steel can cause sparks. (if you don't know the thing I'm talking about you will see it when you lower the tank)

4. depending on how many miles you have on the car and what the weather is like in your area you may need to replace the rubber filler tube seal, mine was destroyed but somehow it didn't leak, it leaked bad once I put it back together, had to pull it apart again.

like I said, it's pretty straight forward

Conrad

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 03:51 PM   #3
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

OH, How the heck do I get those clips off the fuel filter?? I don't wanna break em.....

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 07-17-2002, 03:57 PM   #4
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Default Sorry

You have to break them... at least I did. I went to Ford for replacements.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #5
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

I just got done doing the same as you. Definitly get someone else to help you. As far as the clips, you should replace them anyway so just break em. Just push the "legs" apart and pull on the other end to get them out. Good luck.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:00 PM   #6
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

the replacement clips should come with your fuel filter. And the pump too. i would get a new rubber seal that fits around the filler neck too. one more thing that hasn't been mentioned yet. if you are getting a stock replacement, i don't believe they come with a new sock(the strainer on the bottom of the fuel pump). you will definitely want a new one.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:55 PM   #7
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

uuuhhhh I just took out the fuel filter and wasn't paying attention at the way it came out and don't remember which way it flows. I'm pretty sure the line from the tank goes in and the other end goes out. By the way, I did buy a new sock and I did get new clips with the fuel filter. When I lower the straps with the tank come to the ground or just hang there?? And the clips were easy, they just came out....I just pushed them out from the other side.

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 07-17-2002, 05:35 PM   #8
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

oh sh*t, did I do something wrong.........I took off the 2 straps and everything came off the car.....The only way it's attached is by the gas spout (where u put gas in the car). Did I do something wrong?? where am I sopposed to go from here?? HELP!! lol

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 07-17-2002, 06:01 PM   #9
Ieatcamaros

You are right on the fuel filter direction. Just be sure the direction of the gas matches the direction on the filter.

That is the way the tank comes out. You did nothing wrong.

From here, you need a brass punch or something to unscrew the fuel pump sending unit bracket from the tank. Then, just swap the fuel pumps. Hint: Put the fuel pump in the sending unit and then put the sock on. There is a rubber gasket that goes in between the pump and the sending unit on the sock side(bottom). You need this. Be sure to get the wires right on the pump. Another suggestion, if the sending unit is rusty, wire brush it off. This way, there is less trash in the tank.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:07 PM   #10
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Well I lowered the tank to the ground and I see nothing but 2 electrical connectors on the top of the tank and 3 fuel line hook-ups. Where is the pump?? I removed the connectors and I'm trying to unhook the fuel lines to remove the tank from under the car so it will be easier to work on, but one of the lines just won't come off. Maybe it's me but I'm not seeing this fuel pump anywhere or anything to open up the tank.....Thanx

Matt

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 07-17-2002, 06:19 PM   #11
Ieatcamaros

Talking

Okay, when you drop the tank straight down, look on top of the tank. Right there where the lines connect is the top of the sending unit. There is a large nut that screws into the tank. Nut it is no ordinary nut. It is flat with four places sticking up to beat on. You have to unscrew it with a punch of some kind and a hammer. You don't want to use a regular punch because sparks will fly when you just barely strike it. NOT GOOD. I use a brass punch that I have. Once you unscrew it, then pull the sending unit out of the tank. The pump is at the bottom. There are wires there too. Those are the ones I was referring to. Like mentioned before, after you pull the sending unit out, clean the area around the hole. Less trash will enter the tank when you put it back in. BTW, it is a helluva lot easier once you get those lines off the sending unit. It is a good idea to replace the rubber filler neck seal while you got the tank out. The tank has to be dropped to replace it.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:52 PM   #12
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

I understand what you are saying now that I am looking at it but I do not know what a punch is and I can not get one of the lines off at all. I can twist it and all but I can not pull it off......

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 07-17-2002, 07:52 PM   #13
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

sorry about me freaking out guys, I just don't want to screw it up. I got all the connections off the top of the sending unit and tank, now I just need to go buy a brass punch. It seems like it should be easy from here. I think I got that rubber seal, that u guys are talking about, with the new pump. The only prob I may see myself having is raising the tank back up......thanx guys

Matt

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 07-17-2002, 08:56 PM   #14
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I slid a floor jack under the tank to aid in putting it back on. I actually did this myself...wouldn't recommend that. It was a real pain. Get a friend !

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:38 PM   #15
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

I went to look for a brass punch tonight and couldn't find one so I am just going to use a screwdriver and hammer to loosen the nut tomorrow.

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 07-17-2002, 10:13 PM   #16
Ieatcamaros

You can use a screwdriver. Just be careful when you do it. You certainly don't want to blow yourself up. That would suck. Remember that the fumes are more flammable than the gas.

It would definitely help if you at least had one friend to help. It goes real smooth with 2 friends. I would siphon most of that gas out of the tank. You'd be surprised how much that will help.

You're doin good so far. If you have any problems just come here, one of us will help. Just remeber to post as much information about it as you can. So we don't have to ask you questions to help you.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:40 PM   #17
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Since the fumes are more flammable, I would assume that I should do this outside in a "well ventilated" area and cover the spout hole on the side of the tank so no fumes escape?

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 07-18-2002, 06:38 AM   #18
Ieatcamaros

You can if you want to. Even if you cover the filler hole with a rag, the fumes are still going to escape. It has to be sealed in order for the fumes not to escape. You want to do this is a well ventilated area. Or even outside.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:27 AM   #19
8d850
Registered Member

Default fuel pump

I wouldn't even chance using a screwdriver. If you can't find a brass punch try using a piece of wood. Maybe a wooden dowel or something like that. I just did mine last week and putting the tank back was the hardest part. I had my 10 year old and his friend both using floor jacks while I was pushing the tank up to put the bolts in. LOL It's all in the balancing. Definitely awkward!!
8d850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 10:34 AM   #20
drudis

[Didnt read the whole thread]
But you gotta remove the tank straps, lower the tank (with a big towel on the saddle) of the floorjack...
Remove the old pump by "unscrewing" the fitting with a hammer and wooden (no spark) dowel.
Watch not to snap any fuel lines.
Support the fuel lines so they dont siphon the fuel downhill.

http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote