MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-15-1999, 10:53 AM   #1
RichLich
Registered Member

Question 1979 302/5.0 Upgrade Help

I'm having a devil of a time finding everything I need to do the upgrades on my 302/5.0L (serpentine belt) 'stang. I've been looking in lots of catalogs but have so far been unable to find a "coherent" set of hardware. What I want to do is this: new intake manifold, new carb (4 bbl), new complete dual exhaust (including exhaust manifolds), new cam, new pulleys, and new ignition. I'll even go new pistons if that will be needed. This is for a street legal machine.

I'd also like advice on going from the current T-3 to a better (read sturdier) transmission. Can I do an AOD and if so, what else will I have to change?

How about converting to 5-bolt wheels and rear brake upgrade to disc? If you've done it, what did you use?

Anybody know where I can get a replacement driver's bucket seat? How about sill plates?

As you can see, I have a lot of work to do!

Rich

(PS My '79 is actually a custom. I guess it is a custom because when I bought it, I bought it with a Benz 450SL nose-clip and hood kit already installed.)
RichLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-1999, 05:42 PM   #2
hehhehmule
Registered Member

Any parts available for late model 5.0's will work on your car. They're all fox stangs. One of the cheapest ways to modify might be to find a wrecked fuelie mustang and swap everything over. You've got the 7.5 rear and if you're going to put a decent power plant in it you'll need to upgrage to the later 8.8. Benz front end? Geez that sounds funky.
hehhehmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-1999, 06:03 PM   #3
RichLich
Registered Member

Many thanks for your reply! I especially appreciate the heads-up on the rear-end. (I've been wondering about that.) Do you have advice as to vendors/makers? (How about stuff from Ford Motorsport? I happen to have a Ford Motorsport retailer about 3 blocks from my house.) How about the transmission? Would I need a new drive shaft to go to an AOD along with the 8-in rear end?

On the Benz thing, yeah, it turns a lot of heads and gets lots of questions and puzzled looks. Once I get her repainted and, possibly, some new rims and tires I'm going to post some pictures on a couple of the 'stang web sites.

Rich
RichLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-1999, 09:23 PM   #4
hehhehmule
Registered Member

You shouldn't have any difficulty with the driveshaft. All the mounting positions should be the same. As for FMS, I've used them almost exclusively. I've run iron GT40's and GT40X's with great success. They have a very different characteristic though. I can't speak as highly for the Motorsport hotline though. The TW heads allegedly have a longevity problem with the valve guides so you might want to consult someone before you buy. I would go to a later 5.0 block so I could run a roller cam. I've always had good luck with edelbrock intakes as well. I'm getting a bit long winded here, but if you're going with an aod you should probably go with an aftermarket torque converter while you're in there. If I can help with anything else feel free to contact me.
hehhehmule is offline   Reply With Quote