MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2001, 09:27 AM   #1
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Question Export Brace

Good morning folks,
I'm looking through the catalogs I ordered when I first got my car and every one advertises and export brace. I've got a convertible, so it seems like the stiffer I can make it, the better. But when I look at my engine bay, there is already some sort of brae welded in from the firewall to the back of the shock towers. Is this stock and the export brace mounts over top of it? Or was this some attempt to fab one up way back in history when they weren't available. If this is stock, what good does an export brace do me? Thanks, if this has been covered before I apologize, I couldn't find anything on a search.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 09:54 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Brian,
The convertibles did come with stock additional supports. The stock ones are tubular I believe. The export braces you are seeing in the catalogs are like the ones that came stock on the Shelby models. In essence it is a one piece unit that is stronger than the stock brace (that came on the coupe models). I'm not familiar with the early ragtops so I don't know if the stock setup is fine on yours or if you can even swap it for the 1 piece brace. Someone else here can tell you for sure.
Hope this helps a tad.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 11:15 AM   #3
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Thanks Stefan,
There are 2 tubular supports that bolt to the firewall and then in front of the shock towers. There is an additional support that looks ind of like the arms of the export brace that is welded to the shock towers and firewal. But it looks like the export brace may fit above this and replace those tubular braces. How 'bout it ragtop people, is this worth the 40 bucks?

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed
Old 01-09-2001, 07:36 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

My '66 coupe came with a weak stamped metal export brace riveteted together, bolted to the fire wall, and welded to the shock towers. These are pretty puny. I replaced mine with a chrome plated one piece job a la Shelby. You'll also want a monte carlo bar to complete the front suspension bracing. These pieces prevent front frame flexing in hard corners and really do help. Remember, the original Stangs had Falcon front ends and were actually pretty weak. $50 for the expoirt brace and $40 for the monte carlo bar are really not much $$$ in the grand scheme of things. My $.02.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 08:38 AM   #5
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Thanks Rev,
That's the brace I was talking about (the cheap looking stamped steel one). Did you cut the old one off, or does the replacemnt fit on top of it? I've already bought the Monte Carlo bar. I started questioning what was going on when I saw those two tubular braces were going to have to disappear to fit the monte carlo bar. I've got some other stuff to order so I'll get an export brace on the way.
Thanks guys,
Brian

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed
Old 01-10-2001, 10:33 AM   #6
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Brian,
If it will fit just mount it over the top, hate to remove things when I don't have too.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 11:23 AM   #7
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Cool,
Also if I removed the old one, it would've looked like crap. I'd also think every little bit of support has to help. There are several more things I'm going to have to do to make this car safe for the motor it has. But this is a good start.
Old 01-13-2001, 01:30 AM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

My originals on the '66 were stamped steel bolted to the firewall and welded to the top of the shock tower. I did have to remove the welded on part with a grinder, but it was no big deal. The new brace attatched to the shock towers with the existing bolts (3) on each side. My original braces were pressed sheet steel though, not tubular. The new export brace (Taiwanese) was pressed metal also, but much heavier. It bolted to the firewall and also to the shock towers.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 04:32 PM   #9
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I think an export brace is one of the easiest and least expensive upgrades you can do. It makes quite a difference in the car. I have installed one on every mustang I have had and highly recomend it to many that come in my shop.

Holds everything together and in relationship to each other much better then the stock seperate braces.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 08:41 AM   #10
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Thanks everybody,
I installed the Monte Carlo bar this weekend, I have the export brace on the way. I spent most of yesterday changing out engine bolts with this stainless kit that I bought at a car show on Saturday. It makes a pretty big visual difference, plus I hope they'll be easier to rmove if it comes to that in the future.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed
Old 01-19-2001, 10:31 AM   #11
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Cool

I put the export brace on last night. I removed the bolted pieces from the firewall and left the (welded on to the shock tower) stubs. I haven't driven it yet (nasty weather here in MS today) but it looks cool.
Comeon tax refund, I need a new top.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed
Old 01-19-2001, 11:57 AM   #12
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Glad to hear you go it installed. Did you have any problems with fitment or did everything line up?

BTW, where is Hattiesburg? My mom grew up in Corinth, MS and I still have relatives there.
------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 01-19-2001).]
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 12:27 PM   #13
Brian Browning
Registered Member

It was kinda tough to get on. The three bolts at the top of the shock towers aren't very long. I got it started on one side, then took a big set of vice grips and clamped the other side so I could get bolts started there. Then the firewall side had to be bent down slightly so the holes would line up. I took a big punch, ran it through one hole of the brace and firewall and was able to get the adjacent bolt started. Once I got one, the other three were fairly easy.
It took about an hour, and I'm slow.

Hattiesburg is in south MS about an hour north of Gulfport. About 100 miles northeast of New Orleans.