MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Intake Manifold from 289 fit on 351W? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=39302)

kirkdickinson 09-24-2003 10:41 PM

Intake Manifold from 289 fit on 351W?

I have a 68 Mustang that has a 67 289 in it. The engine is locked up badly and I need to get it running again right away and don't have a lot of money to do it right now.

I have a mid 80's 351W from a Ford Truck.

The 351 W has a two barrell carb that is broken. (flange busted off) and of course it has a 2 bbl manifold.

The 289 has a 4 bbl manifold with a holly 600.

Will the 289 manifold fit on the 351W??

I don't want to use an adapter on the 2bbl intake, but may have to. A month down the road I will be able to purchase a decent manifold for it.

Any recomendations??

Thanks,

Kirk

HotRoddin 09-24-2003 11:23 PM

Re: Intake Manifold from 289 fit on 351W?

Quote:

Originally posted by kirkdickinson
Will the 289 manifold fit on the 351W??
No .... the 351W has a higher deck height therefore the heads sit further apart, so the intake is wider.

kirkdickinson 09-24-2003 11:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I have to use the silly adapter until I can afford the good intake manifold.

Another question, will the 289 heads fit on the 351?

I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I spent $1500 on those 289 heads getting them to breathe better. I had over $3K and less than 2K miles on that engine when it lunched. I haven't dissambled it yet, but I fear a severely broken/jambed piston or broken crank. (It locked up solid at 65 MPH)

Do the 351 heads have bigger valves?

Thanks,

Kirk

HotRoddin 09-25-2003 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kirkdickinson
Another question, will the 289 heads fit on the 351?

Do the 351 heads have bigger valves?

As far as i know they'll fit as long as you drill the bolt holes out, because the 351 uses bigger head bolts. They put the big heads on the little motor all the time ... i don't think i've ever seen anyone put the little heads on the big motor ? And yes the 351 heads have bigger valves and bigger ports. What you really want to watch is the difference in the size of the combustion chambers. On most of the models and years of the 351 heads, the chambers are larger than most models of the 289 heads. The bigger chambers will lower your compression ratio and make a significant difference in HP.

billheis 09-25-2003 06:30 PM

Actually the mid 80 351W have same valves and ports as 302. Yes definately put those heads on. As stated the head bolt hole on 289 are 7/16 and 351 1/2 so youll have to drill out holes on head. Youll probably pick some compression as early heads had smaller chambers. Make sure to swap rocker arms with the heads as they are different
Bill

kirkdickinson 09-25-2003 09:51 PM

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about the intake or the heads. Turns out that the motor that the "Reputible junkyard" said was a 351W isn't. Or at least I am pretty sure it isn't.

After spending 8 hours cleaning and prepping and painting the motor, I found that the new oil pump (for a 351W) had a bigger hole than the shaft to turn it and won't work. Then the oil pan gasket is just a little off. I got to thinking that I remembered hearing that the firing order for a 351W is different than a 289. The supposed 351W has the same firing order as my old 289.

I don't know much about engines and the guy helping me is not a ford guy. He is took the serial number home tonight to look it up, but I am pretty sure that I have a 302 instead of a 351W.

The old 289 has two broken pistons. The skirts are broken off and the pan was full of all kinds of parts. The valve spring retainer and spring are broken over one of the broken pistons. Don't know what happened, but the block is probably a goner. It is already bored .30 over.

Kirk

billheis 09-26-2003 09:00 AM

Sounds like the piston banged the valve. Have the heads checked and the valve and hardware replaced and put hte heads and intake set up on that 302. Yeah the 351w has bigger mains and the pan has to be wider at the main cap to fit it. Just measure your 289 at the intake end seal and measure the other engine at the same place and see if the measurement is the same
Bill

kirkdickinson 09-26-2003 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by billheis
Sounds like the piston banged the valve.
I have attached a photo of a pushrod jambed through a lifter. :(

How can a valve get hit by a piston unless the cam and crank are out of time with each other? The timing chain is still on the motor and tight. Doesn't appear to have slipped. I haven't yet taken the entire thing apart, but will probably do so for curiosity's sake.

It was interesting to find that the oil pump only had one bolt in it instead of two. The one in it was tight, but that was another bad thing waiting to happen.

Kirk

QuantumMotorsports 09-26-2003 10:09 PM

Man, never seen that happen before, but there's a first time for everything. The valves can collide with pistons for numerous reasons. One is a sloppy valve train where at high rpms the slop basically gets magnified. Anyway, could have been something else that caused the motor to go too. Good luck man.

rwhite65 09-27-2003 04:50 AM

probably a mute point

the intake from the 289 can fit a 351w, using some fancy CNC machine adapters I have seen. Some old school guys have done this to use the 6-pack set-ups from 289's of the day.
Ryan