MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2002, 04:38 PM   #1
Fostang
Registered Member

Default Intakes

I'm in the process of putting an efi engine together for a project car. Since it's an older vehicle with no efi this implements having to also install the computer and harness. I don't have the computer or harness. What I do have is the engine and the intake, engine harness, injectors, sensors, thorttle body, and hoses. I'm wondering how I can tell if the intake is a HO mass air unit. The cover is missing so thats no help. Are their any areas where the speed density and mass air systems are different to which I can check. Thanks in advance.
89'GT-Supercharged,Heads,Cam,Intake,TB,MAF,power pipe,headers,offroad exhaust,black bullits.
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 04:53 PM   #2
shadowblue89
Registered Member

They are the same

89 GT 5spd
shadowblue89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 05:29 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

How about to find out find out if the engine harness is a ho or regular one? So I know what type of firing order to wire it.
89'GT-Supercharged,Heads,Cam,Intake,TB,MAF,power pipe,headers,offroad exhaust,black bullits.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
Fostang
Registered Member

I can get casting numbers on each part, intake, egr, tps, ect. If that would help anyone inform about this intake. One last thing the harness has a connection for something right next to where the egr connects to is this something for speed density systems? As you all can see I'm really clue less when it comes to efi so I need all the help I can get. Thanks guys.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:54 PM   #5
2StangShawn
Registered Member

Smile Speed Density/or Mass Air

There is no difference between the mass air intake and the speed density intake. The only thing that makes the two intakes different is the vacuum tree that mounts on the underside. The Speed density unit has a provision to connect vacuum to the MAP sensor mounted on the firewall directly behind the intake. The difference in the wiring harnesses are few, but subtle. The Mass air harness has an extra connector to plug into the mass air meter and also has different pin locations for the Thermactor(smog) pump. If the harness you have is Speed Density, it can be upgraded to Mass Air. I upgraded my car to Mass-air this summer. Here is a great article that can detail the conversion from speed density to Mass-air, so it may help.
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html
As for the connector near the EGR, that may be the TPS connector
Old 01-27-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
2StangShawn
Registered Member

Smile Speed Density/or Mass Air

There is no difference between the mass air intake and the speed density intake. The only thing that makes the two intakes different is the vacuum tree that mounts on the underside. The Speed density unit has a provision to connect vacuum to the MAP sensor mounted on the firewall directly behind the intake. The difference in the wiring harnesses are few, but subtle. The Mass air harness has an extra connector to plug into the mass air meter and also has different pin locations for the Thermactor(smog) pump. If the harness you have is Speed Density, it can be upgraded to Mass Air. I upgraded my car to Mass-air this summer. Here is a great article that can detail the conversion from speed density to Mass-air, so it may help.
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html
As for the connector near the EGR, that may be the TPS connector
Old 01-27-2002, 03:07 PM   #7
Stang Runner
Registered Member

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THX TELL you more in a bit
My car Runs like Crap with it out
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 05:31 PM   #8
Fostang
Registered Member

Well I found out a way on how to convert it to an HO harness. Thanks guys. I still don't know what that plug in is for. Well actually two of them I know one of them has to be for the oxygen sensors. I'm just not sure wether it's the one with with the 3 contacts or two. I guess I'll find out when ever I get the oxygen sensor harness. I will most defenitly convert to mass air if it's not. Just need to find a good used stock mass air that and a stock HO intake top. Anyone know if the saleen one is better?Thanks again