MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2002, 01:09 PM   #1
lyonsd
Registered Member

Question Interior make-over

I have a '88 Mustang 5.0. It is black with a red interior. I'd prefer a black or grey interior.

How difficult and expensive is it to change the interior color?

Didn't the anniversary model have a leather seat option? Are these hard to get? And is it just the front buckets that are leather, or was the rear bench available in leather too?

Are they still selling those FR500 seats?

What are some good online resources I can check regarding 5.0 interiors?

My interior is in pretty bad shape and I'd like to do a complete interior restoration or make-over.

Thanks.
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:07 PM   #2
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Just bumpin this TTT. I too have an 88GT with warn out red interior. I'm as interested as you are.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:09 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Carpet is about $90 new and headliners are about $50. those are both easy to find in many catalogs

All plastic parts can be scuffed and painted with paint made specifically for that. I have used it on a few small interior parts to see what it will look like and it turned out well.
They also make paint/dye for the vinyl (sp?) parts of the dash and door panels.

besides the seats, that pretty much covers everything, and wouldnt be too expensive to do. Unless you buy those FR500 seats

good luck with it,
-Drew
Old 04-15-2002, 06:25 PM   #4
lyonsd
Registered Member

Hmmm...paint. That sounds interesting. Especially since I'm such a cheapskate...uh, I mean since I'm so frugal.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:19 PM   #5
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

I use to have a red interior and hated it with a passion! I switched it over to gray and black and am very inpressed in the way it came out. I got stuff from junk yards, want ads, and painted a few of my old red panels. I believe I paid a total of $300 for everything to complete the interior, which i don't think is bad at all. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help!

-Craig

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:17 PM   #6
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

CJ Pony Parts 87-93
Dash pad = $84.95 for grey, call for pricing on black.
Carpet = $94.95
Rear hatch area carpet = $79.95
Door sill plates Opal Grey = $49.95
Floor mats running pony = $64.95

I'm looking at the catalog right now. They have everything you'll need to redo the interior. Door handles, latches, you name it. The leather upholstery kit you'll need is $849.95 for charcoal grey. I don't know if that's the back seat included. It doesn't say.

Here is their number. 1-800-888-6473. Call them for a free catalog. For anyone else interested in restoration, they cover all years of the Mustang from 65-98. Some stuff is cheap, some is not so cheap. Some you can't find anywhere else, or at least I haven't.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:09 AM   #7
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Painting interior...

I just recently converted my interior to black. I bought professional quality paint from a body shop supplier. All you have to do is wipe down the parts with this cleaner ($20 quart), let it dry and paint. The paint comes in aerosol and goes on flawlessly. The results are better than factory. The paint can be used on vinyl, plastic and carpet. I would recommend ordering carpet in the color that you want though. However, the carpet/velour on the doors can easily be painted with this stuff. I have had the interior in for awhile now and it looks perfect. Everyone loves it. Now I have a full black interior for less than $40. Let me know if you need the name of the paint and prep. I would not even think about using the paint that you can buy in auto parts stores. Why bother when you can do it right for a little more?
Old 04-16-2002, 09:17 AM   #8
lyonsd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFlow5 0
I use to have a red interior and hated it with a passion! I switched it over to gray and black and am very inpressed in the way it came out.
I like that. That would match my Grand National.

Tell me about those seats. Are they Ford seats?
Old 04-16-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
USMC302
Registered Member

IN my 88GT, we bought it with trashed interior, we stripped it, bought new carpet($99) and put the 2001 mustang seats in it, they are by far the best looking seat you can put in those model mustangs in my opinion, they were dark charcoal grey with the white running pony in front. They did require a little modification but nothing hard at all. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:25 PM   #10
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lyonsd

I like that. That would match my Grand National.

Tell me about those seats. Are they Ford seats?

They are just seat covers. I wanted new seats but could not afford them. I think they were 20 bucks a piece and look pretty good for seat covers.

Old 04-17-2002, 12:38 AM   #11
DemonGT
Registered Member

hiflow - where did you get your steering wheel from and how much was it? what did you all have to do to make it work?
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:31 AM   #12
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

DemonGT, I bought that Grant wheel at Autozone, for somewhere around $60. I had to get the Grant steering wheel installation kit to install. I don't think you can get an aftermarket wheel cause you have air bags in your car. I have heard of people deploying their air bags and removing the stock wheel for a aftermarket wheel, but I don't think its worth it.

Old 04-19-2002, 03:05 PM   #13
lyonsd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USMC302
IN my 88GT, we bought it with trashed interior, we stripped it, bought new carpet($99) and put the 2001 mustang seats in it, they are by far the best looking seat you can put in those model mustangs in my opinion, they were dark charcoal grey with the white running pony in front. They did require a little modification but nothing hard at all. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.
Sounds interesting. How much are the 2001 seats? Are they the same as the 1999-up seats?

What kind of modifications were involved?

I don't know what the seats look like. Got that pic yet?

Are the seats leather?
Old 04-19-2002, 04:06 PM   #14
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Default Ebay is a great place to find used seats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...507695&r=0&t=0

Try that link to see what newer seats look like. I got a set of 35th anniversary seats (black cloth with gray inserts and the pony stitched into the back) off of Ebay and I will put them in my car this weekend. They basically bolt right in (you will need to use the tracks from your old seats).

The newer Mustang seats are much more supportive than the crap they used to put in our cars.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote