MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2000, 09:20 AM   #1
Enrique Rodriguez

Cool its me again...CAN I BEAT THE Z-28's?

Before I get flamed for asking so many d****d questions I want to say thank you all for all of your help. You have saved my butt on several occasions. You guys are an invaluable source of information and first hand experiences. I actually ordered the gears I was asking about (finding a mechanic in Italy to install them will be quite the adventure, I am sure). Now the question--I have full exhaust and no engine mods. I will replace the fan with an electric one and remove A/C. I just got the Kenne Bell catalog and I am stoked. I was wondering if you guys think I could beat the Z-28's with a 5 or 6 lb boost and the 3.73's. I would also be using his switch chip,80mm mass air and bigger injectors (until the motor blows up). I can only run 5 or 6 because of the low octane crap I have to put in my car. (the gas is leaded here). There are no quarter mile tracks here so I can't run a comparison time, everything is rally, rally, rally.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing, 87 spindles, rear disc, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Crutchfield front kick panel speakers.
Old 12-31-2000, 01:30 PM   #2
MDM
Registered Member

See if flex a lite makes a fan for your 86. The FLX 175 is a good fan, but it nay be 87-93 specific. It fits nicely, offers 2800 cfm airflow, and it mounts on the top and bottom of radiator-no bolts through cooling fins. I would recommend going with an upgraded alternator to power the fan, especially if you use a stereo with external amp. Try pa performance for one of their 130 amp or 95 amp alts.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 02:20 PM   #3
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Hmm.. I'd have to say for the fan the cheapest and best way would be to find one out of a markvIII if you can. I would upgrade the amp too though. What year z28's are you trying to beat? Are you racing them drag or rally?

What octane gas do you use?If you CAN run a kenne belle with 6lbs of boost without pinging then definately go for it. That and the gears will give you HUGE off the line torque and if you can remotely hook up then I'd say you ought to be able to smoke lt1's and slightly edge out ls1's.

I would also upgrade the throttle body and suspension and get some drag radials so you can hook up all that torque you will have.

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 06:19 PM   #4
88gt150k
Registered Member

a guy i race with at the track, has a powerdyne with 6-9#s of boost. his best time so far was a 12.9..., wide street tires, gears 3.55s i think, hes doesnt have hardly any mods except for the blower and its a stock auto tranny. i think with the knowlege
you can get from here and a blower you should be ok.

------------------
88gt gt40 irons mill/port, ported up/low efi,mac longs,1.6 rrs, crane fpr,fms a/c elim,dynomax s.t.,190lph,weld rims, bfg drs,3.73s, parts in limbo 24# inj and compcam .533 lift, 73 c&l mass
82gt 351w in limbo
89 4 cyl notch in limbo
88gt150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 11:53 AM   #5
Enrique Rodriguez

I would be drag racing. We have an autocross club but I don't really go because I can't make the turns. It's set up for the Eurotrash that the pilots drve. About the pinging thing though---do you think I could run some of the octane booster? I could just buy a case and keep a few in the car. Anyone know about this stuff? Is it just a gimmick or what?
Old 01-01-2001, 01:36 PM   #6
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

There's a guy I know who runs an ATI Pro Charger and I believe he's running stock ported heads and the rest stock. He's getting 14lbs of boost on pump gas. I think if I was going with a supercharger I'd have to go with an ATI. A buddy (stangsrule) has a Kenne Bell and has had lots of problems dealing with Kenne Bell on the chip and such.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 02:10 PM   #7
Five0
Registered Member

No the octane boost is not a gimmick but if you still have problems after the octane boost try backing down your timing or get a boost retard.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
Best 1/8 time on motor 7.686 @90.20mph
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 06:26 PM   #8
FivepointOH
Registered Member

If he is only running 6lbs of boost and has to back out boost or timing I don't think the blower would be worth the money. A kenne belle would be a lot better suited to an AOD than a procharger in my opinion because the AOD badly NEEDS help in the torque department compared to a 5spd. You could try running octane booster but with that and you said you have a real high price of gas, your gas bills are going to be huge. Is this car your daily driver or a weekend car?

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: