MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-26-2002, 11:22 PM   #1
exgmguy
Registered Member

Default Best ignition system?

I still run the stock ignition on my car and was considering an upgrade. 10 years ago I would have said "MSD, no question..." But are any of the others out there any better?

I would like something that I could put the control dial in the cockpit for timing adjustments on the fly. I would assume an MSD 6AL should do the trick eh?
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:26 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

MSD!!!

If you have a standard, I would suggest the 6AL because it has a rev limiter built into it (that's what I have). If you have an auto, I would suggest the 6A. It's the same thing just without the rev limiter. You can also get different retards for your car. The one that I have mounts in the engine and I can adjust it with a little screwdriver and activate it with the flip of a switch in four different stages They make one where you can adjust it with a knob. The reason why I recoment MSD is because they are high quality parts, they won't let you down, and they are just a plug away. My Autometer tach just pluged in and I was done....
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 10:34 AM   #3
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

My vote would go to MSD as well. That's what I use.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:27 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Funny, I've found MSD boxes to be poor quality, but they work. For a while. The factory ignition works better, though. The Crane HI6 box is the best for the money, and an MSD adjustable ignition dial will work with it (been there, done that). If you do get an MSD box, make sure it's a CD box.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I was all gun ho to put an MSD in my Mustang till I did some more reasearch. Turns out the Factory TFI module will work just fine for most applications and using the aftermarket Ingn is mostly a waste of money. If you have lots of boost or lots of power, the extra spark energy etc can help, but the TFI saturates the coil pretty well, and the "extra" energy found by aftermarket systems does not really do anything more.

Now if you are replacing a Duraspark or points totally different story. Even the GM HEI is pretty good, though it does drop off more at higher rpms.

I just put in a new Wells TFI, they list the same part# for nearly all Fords. Now I am happy, though I do think about relocating the TFI someday.

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 01:22 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Jacobs electronics is very high quality. Although they are a lil' expensive its well worth the money.

I have also found MSD to be poor quality.

There is a Jacobs Electronics located in Midland Texas I have been there and was very impressed with how serious they take the performance of there products.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 02:02 PM   #7
fordgasm
Registered Member

I have used the MSD in years past with little problems, this has been in a car that only travels 1/4 mile at a time

I have had a Crane in my Mustang which has seen both track and street, I think I have had this HI-6 box for about 6 years or so without any problems, I would buy another. Plus I was able to buy one with a blue anodized finish, gotta look good too!
Old 03-27-2002, 04:28 PM   #8
exgmguy
Registered Member

I am spraying a 150 shot on a strong 302. I have not had any problems yet, but if it could help I would put one on.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:10 PM   #9
87vert351
Registered Member

Rob,

You can't go wrong with the msd stuff. poor quality? Not for me, I've had the same 6al in my car since I got it. It was in the car when I bought it as a roller. I bought the car in 96. I've never had any trouble with it. The 6al will be nice since it has the limiter incase you miss a shift on the spray.

Driveline now in a coupe best N/A pass 10.991@125 on a 1.40 60'
87vert351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:29 PM   #10
nextime
Registered Member

Default jacobs

i researched jacobs and msd and i choose the jacobs. i found the jacobs is far superior to the msd. the msd has all of the little adjustments on it for diffrent settings but the jacobs comes the way it should be with out all of the adjustments it is adjusted by your car. jacobs turns each one of your spark plugs into a in engine sensor and delivers each spark plug a spark that is determened on how each seperate cylinder is running msd cant do that! jacobs also has a timing adjuster that is mounted in the car that you can adjust while you are driving and can also have two timing curves, one for everyday driving for economy and a seperate for when you mash that pedal to the floor and want an instant timing advance for racing. i have the boost master that jacobs sells, my car is at 18 degrees out of boost and when i hit 1 1/2 pounds of boost it automaticly changes my timing to 10 degrees can msd do that i think not. also my jacobs come stock with an anti-theft device that when somebody tries to steal your car the jacobs makes your car appear like it is running out of gas and the theifs will leave it alone can msd do that! you choose what you want but check out msd's website then check out jacobs and then you will decide for yourself.

2003 Cobra Convertible
nextime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 10:31 PM   #11
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

As far as adding boost, MSD has different products for different applications. And thet come with instructions to wire switch which disables your ignition system. Ive had my MSD 6AL and never had a problem yet and it was removed from my old car and put in the new one. And MSD is nearly the only thing you see in NASCAR and, up here, CASCAR. I love their stuff and they have a great rep.
RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 10:47 PM   #12
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thumbs up MSD

Quote:
Jacobs electronics is very high quality. Although they are a lil' expensive its well worth the money.
Quote:
I have also found MSD to be poor quality.
Blah, Blah, Blah. What is this crap that MSD is poor quality? Don't listen to them exgmguy, MSD has great quality products, I'm running a 6AL in my S-10. Most of the serious racers 7's, 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's use MSD products. And Jacobs vs. MSD? Oh please..... I've found MSD boxes to be great quality by the way. I've ran MSD ignitions, etc. on alot of cars and have had no trouble at all. I have nothing but good things to say about MSD, I'd highly suggest them.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:01 PM   #13
exgmguy
Registered Member

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:16 PM   #14
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: MSD

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89

Blah, Blah, Blah. What is this crap that MSD is poor quality? Don't listen to them exgmguy, MSD has great quality products, I'm running a 6AL in my S-10. Most of the serious racers 7's, 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's use MSD products. And Jacobs vs. MSD? Oh please..... I've found MSD boxes to be great quality by the way. I've ran MSD ignitions, etc. on alot of cars and have had no trouble at all. I have nothing but good things to say about MSD, I'd highly suggest them.
obviously you have never tried Jacobs products...I have tried both so I can make a valid comparison...Can you??

Me and my dad both have had bad luck with MSD.

For now on I will automaticly consider your opinion a fact
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:24 PM   #15
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

My 2 pennies...

MSD is good stuff
Jacobs is good stuff (decent)

What about the Holley Anihillator systems?
Aren't they supposed to be quality stuff?

I can't say for sure but figured I would throw it into the mix...

"Different strokes for different folks"

I'm not going to say who sucks, or whatever...
I'm no product rep so there is nothing in it for me

MSD gets the job done...
I have never tried Jacobs nor Holley

I would choose Holley over Jacobs and I run an MSD 6AL box
Anyhow, calm down you guys!!!

Dude, get this.....
No, dude get that.....

I'm confused already (doesn't take much though)

The Holley system has a dial where you can adjust the timing in the cockpit I believe.

Best of luck in your decision making process!!

Laters...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:43 PM   #16
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
obviously you have never tried Jacobs products...I have tried both so I can make a valid comparison...Can you??
Quote:
Me and my dad both have had bad luck with MSD.
You know what is classic? Yes I can say I've tried both. Different people have problems with different products, it's a fact of life. What is also funny, is my dad had a whole Jacobs ignition in his vehicle, and well you don't have to be a genius to know what I think about it. There is no need to be a dick, I never said all things I say are fact. No need to get all riled up over which ignition system is better....lol. I was just voicing my experience and my thoughts. Please make a citizen's arrest on me, if you feel that is a crime?
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:55 PM   #17
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

NOTHING ever works like I think it should!!!

I have had problems with MSD boxes in the past...
Deader than a popcorn fart one minute and the next it fires up and I'm standing there scratching my head.

User error maybe? maybe not!

Regardless, there has got to be some good stuff out there.

Nology makes a bad *** coil and some over priced plug wires if you guys are interested

I said no to the wires, but couldn't pass up the coil...

Laters...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 11:52 AM   #18
PKRWUD

I still say your stock ignition is fine. The only thing I would add would be a PS91 coil, for reliability. It's your money.

As far as quality, dollar for dollar, the Crane box is much better than the MSD boxes. It has a built in adjustable rev limiter as well as self diagnostics, and is cheaper to buy. I have seen the insides of both, and the Crane boxes are much more rugged, and professionally assembled. The MSD boxes I've had apart looked like they were assembled by a Boy Scout trying to earn his soldering badge. Make that a Cub Scout. I have not had any experience with Holley's new system, and minimal experience with Jacobs. I have owned more MSD boxes than anything else, but I don't recommend them. Again, the most important thing to remember, regardless of what you do, is that you want your system to be a CD (Capacitive Discharge) ignition. Older MSD boxes are analog, so be careful.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 05:00 PM   #19
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
I still say your stock ignition is fine. The only thing I would add would be a PS91 coil, for reliability. It's your money.
FYI - I think Crane discontinued the PS-91 coil and now sells just the PS-92 coil. At least I hope that's the case since I just ordered a PS-92 coil a couple of days ago after being told the PS-91 isn't manufactured anymore.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 05:27 PM   #20
nextime
Registered Member

Default S-10

i know i will get alot of backlash but here it goes.... why is there a chevy guy giving advise to mustang owners? if i no longer owned a mustang i know i would no longer post or answer posts on the mustang works. i have no problem with chevy's or there owners but i just was wondering why. i do have alot of good friends that own corvettes but they wouldnt bother with the mustang works or even posting here. all buisness run IBM computers but does that make IBM computers the best? if everybody carried a turd in their pocket would you also? just cause NASCAR runs MSD doesnt make it better than jacobs or the rest of the brands of ignition boxes. MSD gives money for the racers to run their products and racers will go where the money is coming from or they dont race.... it is called SPONSORSHIP! this is my $.02

2003 Cobra Convertible
nextime is offline   Reply With Quote