MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-21-2001, 12:44 AM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Question Just got my proshifted TKO II today! Questions

The ups guy droped it off today and I cant wait to get it in this weekend.
My question is... because that it is proshifted what kind of oil should I use. I think that when they proshift it they remove the syncros and do some other stuff. So do I still need to use the "syncromesh" stuff or should I use a real good gear oil like the "Redline shock proof gear oil"? Also, anyone have a proshifted trans that could tell me what it is like at the track?

------------------
79 hatch w/ NA 347,stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system, proshifted TKO II.MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
93lx all stock + tremec

[This message has been edited by WADS56 (edited 09-21-2001).]
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 01:47 AM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

What is a Proshifted tranny Wade?

And didn't you have a TKO in there to begine with? What are you doing with your old tranny?

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 03:05 AM   #3
WADS56
gear banger

Quote:
Originally posted by 2FastLX:
What is a Proshifted tranny Wade?

And didn't you have a TKO in there to begine with? What are you doing with your old tranny?

I'm not exactly sure what they do but I know they removed the syncros and welded something in there. A proshifted tranmision will shift much better then a regular one, and handle power shifts all day long. The doun side is you have to "double clutch" when you down shift when street driving. Kind of like a 18 wheeler.

The old trans in my car was a 3550 not a TKO. It would not shift into second until 2500 RPM on hard launches with slicks, and that was killing my track times.
I now put the 3550 in my 93lx and it works great for street driving no noise or nothing. I hate auto's so I thought a old tremec would be better that a auto any day.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:15 AM   #4
Jeff Chambers

Basically, the synchros are removed and replaced with solid units that have maybe a third of the teeth to them. This makes it very easy for them to 'catch' when shifting gears; you don't have to wait as long for the system to slow down to the point they'll mesh after you've depressed the clutch. It makes powershift VERY easy and makes it very difficult to miss shifts. There's a sacrifice though. The streetability is gone. What makes it very easy to upshift makes it nearly impossible to downshift. You'll almost have to come to a stop to actually downshift; or depress the clutch and wait a long time (we're talking seconds here) before downshifting to any of the other gears. It also makes the transmission very clunky at low speeds. You'll swear that you're breaking something in the trans when you shift at low speeds, like cruising through pits. It scared the be-jeebers out of me the first time I drove one. You'll notice that with the proshifted unit, its real tough to pull the shifter out of gear without depressing the clutch. However, a light tap of the clutch and the shifter will almost fall out of gear itself and you'll be able to make the 2-3 shift with nothing more than one finger on the shifter.

Proshifting is worth at least two tenths on a low twelve second to low eleven second car. Nearly all of the manual T/S cars showed up proshifted this season...a true sign that it has become an all-out race class.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 08:09 AM   #5
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Wade - I just received my Tremec 3550 last week - D&D Performance recommends GM Syncromesh, and nothing else. Maybe you could talk to the guys that did the pro-shifting?

Jeff, what type of fluid are the guys in your class using?

Take care, E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 08:20 AM   #6
bdhollie
Registered Member

I use the Syncromesh too and it works fine.
bdhollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 09:35 AM   #7
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I'm considering getting my T-5 proshifted, but so far, I don't have any info on it. My cousin had his mustang with a proshifted T-5 but doesn't have any of the receipts, etc to show me. I know they are a pain on the daily grind, but what are the benefits? Can the tranny take a pounding then? How much does it cost?
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 10:47 AM   #8
Jeff Chambers

T5 guys are still using Dextron/Mercon so I'd have to think that the Synchromesh is still recommende for the 3550/TKO.

There's only two place that I know making Proshifted components...Liberty and Hanlon. Other shops may offer the assembly/installation, but I'm pretty sure that only Libery and Hanlon make the gearsets. I checked on proshifting my T5 last year and the cost was about $600 for the components from Liberty (less rebuild kit). So if you're not into T5 rebuilds yourself, you're also going to have to pay somebody to do the rebuild.

The torque capability of the tranny isn't increased any, but it allows the driver to make much cleaner shifts and hence extends the life of the tranny.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 10:57 AM   #9
WADS56
gear banger

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric:
Wade - I just received my Tremec 3550 last week - D&D Performance recommends GM Syncromesh, and nothing else. Maybe you could talk to the guys that did the pro-shifting?

Jeff, what type of fluid are the guys in your class using?

Take care, E

Crap, I just bought some mobil 1 gear oil. It says that it is for heavy duty transmisions or rear ends that are under heavy load or hard shocks.

------------------
79 hatch w/ NA 347,stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system, proshifted TKO II.MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
93lx all stock + tremec