MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-27-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Just got off the phone with TF!

Today I am going to install some "umbrella" valve seals on number 5 cylinder in the hope that I solve a (maybe) bad seal or guide problem and then I can put my supercharger back on.

Anybody got any recommendations? All I'm going to do is chamfer a notch in it and put it on each stem.

Thanks in advance.

Anybody take their upper intake manifold off more than seven times in one week? Damn.

*****Update******

Unbelievable!
So I call them, and the TF guy goes, "Oh yeah, you got stud mount rockers? Just silicone the stud, we've had leaks happen there."

Can you believe that?
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Yes I can believe that. I had the same problem I while back with a set of world products heads.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Dark

Hey Dark,
Did you just liberally apply silicone to the threads of the stud and re-install?

I'm just a little skeptical of this, but I am taking off the manifold now to do it. I would be thrilled if this is the problem.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-27-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Yeah we didnt believe that the rocker studs were the problem so we removed the heads and took them to the machine shop.

The factory valve seals were junk and leaking bad. the valves were not seated correctly and oil was leaking from were the studs were.

We spent about 200 bux getting the heads in the condition they should have been when we bought them brand new for 900 bux
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Hmmmm...

Well Dark,
The problem with what Trick Flow told me is that I have discovered that there are no holes for the rocker studs to leak from. The stud mounts holes are not machined through on TFS TW heads, so I am back to positive valve seals.

I got the exhaust one off and it looked great, but I don't believe it was seated all the way down. Like a dumba$$, I pulled the seal off without trying to see if it was seated all the way. I think the guides are in good shape too, very minimal play in the one I could manipulate.

Right now, I can't figure out how to get the intake valve to stay up. The wire I was using to hold the exhaust valve up through the spark plug hole can't turn enough to get under the intake vavle.

Oh well, I'll just keep trying. Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #6
mustangman4
Registered Member

To hold the valve up you can blow compressed air into the chamber where the spark plug sits. They used to make a tool that screwed right in and held line pressure in the chamber but I dont know if they do anymore. Check the local parts store.

Brad