MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-18-2001, 05:49 PM   #1
Super_Stang
Registered Member

Red face The key will not turn in the ignition

If i push the white button on the bottom of the steering colomn and take they key out i have a VERY VERY VERY hard time to make the key turn to the on possition. i mean i can put the key in ( and it also requires force to get it out ) and the try to turn it and nothin.. it doesn't move.. it took me an hour and then 1 1/2 hours to get it to work the other two times it did this.. i have just not been taking they key out, i just left it in there so this doesn't happen... now i can't turn my car on?!
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 10:46 PM   #2
MeanGene
Registered Member

I would spray it good with WD-40 or something like that and try it for a while...If it doesn't help then the tumblers are worn bad and the key switch should be replaced. Remember that the key has to be turned to the run position to be removed(by pushing the locking pin in underneath the key switch) Good luck MeanGene
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 12:17 AM   #3
Super_Stang
Registered Member

how would i go about replacing the key switch?
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 11:26 AM   #4
MeanGene
Registered Member

Remove the plastic cover from the steering column. I think you will be able to see the switch from there. If not you might have to remove the steering wheel. When you get to it, turn the key to the run position and push in the little pin on the bottom side of the switch and pull out on the key. It should come right out. Good luck MeanGene
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote