MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
mudchucker
Registered Member

Default kickin and spittin

Hey guys, i was battling with this last year and now i am back at it this spring. I put in 24# injectors over the winter and it didn't change anything. When i hit about 3500rpm at WOT it starts kicking abd bucking and sometimes backfires. I can run it up nice and easy over 3500rpm, but not while i am hard on the throttle. I have a comp cam, cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, 24# injectors, and windsor jr. heads. any thoughts on what might be causing this issue? Also, i am running it at full advance, and i have tried letting the em auto advacne, but that doesn't work good at all. any thoughts are greatly appreciated. thanks
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
goodyear1984
Registered Member

Default Re: kickin and spittin

just a quick question did you change out the maf when u changed to the 24# injectors
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
mudchucker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear1984 View Post
just a quick question did you change out the maf when u changed to the 24# injectors

O, sorry i forgot to mention that part. I am still running Speed density. It is weird, it seems like it would have changed soe with the large injectors, but it is the same exact situation. I put in a new regulator when all this started and didn't help at all. The only thing i have not checked is the fuel pressure on the rail. My rail does not have a fitting to be able to check the pressure. Do you guys no if i can put some kind of in line pressure fitting somehow?
Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

What year car do you have?
Old 04-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
mudchucker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC302 View Post
What year car do you have?
it is a 90 lincoln motor, but i have switched everything over to mustang internals and externals.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
USMC302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudchucker View Post
it is a 90 lincoln motor, but i have switched everything over to mustang internals and externals.
Then you should have a schrieder valve on the fuel rail, all 87-95 stangs came with one on them. I wanna say I've seen a regulator that had a pressure guage off of it, but not sure. that would be the only other way, unless you get aftermarket fuel lines.

What do you mean when you say your running it at "full advance"?

What is the timing set at right now? Are you pulling any codes?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
mudchucker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC302 View Post
Then you should have a schrieder valve on the fuel rail, all 87-95 stangs came with one on them. I wanna say I've seen a regulator that had a pressure guage off of it, but not sure. that would be the only other way, unless you get aftermarket fuel lines.

What do you mean when you say your running it at "full advance"?

What is the timing set at right now? Are you pulling any codes?

The timing is at 32 with the plug pulled. The plug is that ecm module that disables the computer from adjusting the timing, i can't remember the name of the plug right off hand. Not reading any codes. As far as the rail, i don't have the valve on mine for some reason. I checked the other rails i have and they both have it, but this one does not. Of course, this is the only rail where the fuel lines come out on the correct side, or i could just switch them out and do it that way. would a lack of fuel pressure at the rail cause it to kick and sputter, then somtimes even backfire when i am getting on it hard, or would it just run weak?
any ideas on what to cehck would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
USMC302
Registered Member

Only one rail is supposed to have the valve, steal the other one for a swap.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

Smile Re: kickin and spittin

I was just reading your thread. Your timing should be 10- 14 degrees with the plug pulled. 32 is full computer advance with the plug in. Put your timing down to 10 to start and see if that solves your problem. Hope this helps.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
mudchucker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog5ohfun View Post
I was just reading your thread. Your timing should be 10- 14 degrees with the plug pulled. 32 is full computer advance with the plug in. Put your timing down to 10 to start and see if that solves your problem. Hope this helps.
whoa!!! i am way advanced. i will kick it down and see what happens.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
USMC302
Registered Member

Unless you leave the plug out, which is what I thought you were saying you do, "run it full advance with plug out". If you plug the spout connector back in then yes that's a little much for timing.