MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-15-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
Mountain Main
Registered Member

Default KOER Test

I think I might have finally got all my problems solved in my car. I have passed KOEO. I had troubles running KOER test because I don't know when to turn the steering wheel and hit the BOO.

So I just brought it to work and used the OEC Scanner. Man does that make it easy. I ran the KOER test and it came up with code 44 and 94. (44) Secondary Air Injection System inoperative on the Right Side. (94) Secondary Air Injection System Inperative on the Left Side.

I believe I'm receiving these codes because I have deleted the Smog pump. No since having the thing since I have an Off Road x-pipe.

I also ran OEC Timing process. I advance my base timing to 12 degrees. I run 91 Octane.

I am going to do some serious High Altitude milage on the car to see if it is reliable.
Mountain Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:07 AM   #2
PKRWUD

You could probably run 14 degrees advanced on 87 octane at your altitude. Remember, high octane, especially at high altitude, makes it that much harder for the engine to burn the mixture. I'm surprised you can even find 91 octane up there.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:49 AM   #3
Mountain Main
Registered Member

Default 8150

I live at 8,150 above sea level for any one that doesn't know. I have a stock engine, with MAC Shorties, MAC Off Road X-Pipe and MAC Mufflers. I also have RAM AIR Intake from MARCH, Hypertech adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a hypertech chip, which recommends high octane. Should I run the cheap stuff. I know living way up in elevation I don't receive a whole lot of good O2. So my car needs to go lean or it will choke its self out.

What I hear on the website is that you want to go with the least amount of octane as you can. How much do you think I should advance my base timing? 12, 14, 16. I don't want to hear any pinging. Maybe I should bring it up to ping and back it off.

I'm sure there is high octane up here, because some manufactors recommend it. I'm sure that Gas Stations like to make the extra money also.

Thanks

Mountain Main
Mountain Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:24 AM   #4
PKRWUD

I've found 14 degrees advanced to be a happy medium. All engines are different, so you really need to fine tune it yourself to find what works best, but I usually start my customers off at 14 degrees advanced.

You are correct about octane. You want the lowest possible without pinging. Your chip wants 91 octane because it figures the odds are that 80% of the customers that buy one will be living at or near sea level.

If it were me, I would advance the timing to 14 degrees, and fill the tank with 89 next time. If that goes well, and you don't have any pinging, then the next time, I'd fill it with 87. If there still were no pinging issues, then I would stay at 87, unless I knew I was going to be traveling to a lower elevation, in which case I'd bump it up accordingly.

I'll bet you can run 14 degrees on 87 octane with no trouble. Both your engine and your wallet will thank you!

The Truth About Octane

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:54 AM   #5
Mountain Main
Registered Member

Default my reply

My engine and my wallet do thank you.