MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-09-2001, 01:20 AM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Question Line-lock installation

Ok guys I have had a line lock laying around tehhouse for over a week now and am finally getting this weekend off. How hard is it to put one in? I have NEVER messed with brakes before, let alone run brake lines and everything else for this installation. The instructions don't seem all that straightforward and wondered if you have any helpful hints. I am almost thinking its safer for me to take it to my mechanic so I don't kill myself by doing it wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 01:07 PM   #2
RobertD
Registered Member

Aha! So your going to tackle it yourself, huh? Be careful. Just be sure that all brake lines are not kinked and you aren't leaking anywhere. Good luck!

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:27 AM   #3
Chris_H
Registered Member

Talking

You have any other ideas than be careful!? I don't like the idea that I could end up killing myself if I do this wrong! ANybody ever put one in, or should I just take it to my mechanic? Doesn't look all that easy.

Chris
Old 02-10-2001, 07:15 AM   #4
Jeff Chambers

Its not really that hard. The worst part of the whole job is just trying to find a place to locate the cylinder. I put mine on the driver's side shock tower just above and forward of the master cylinder. This seemed to minimize the lengths of brake line I needed to fit and bend. The master cylinder uses ISO bubble flare fittings while the line-lok and proportioning valve use SAE double flares. It takes a while and more than a few trips to the parts store to get all of the right fittings. Take a look at my website for a plumbing schematic and parts list. One thing that I forgot in the schematic is the inverted flare adapters for the line-lock selenoid. You have to use an inverted flare adapter in the LL ports before you attach the tubing.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 04:05 PM   #5
Chris_H
Registered Member

Thanx for the reply and the tech article Jeff. From the looks of it it shouldn't be too hard, but I don't have most of the tools needed to do most of this and trying to get the wife to buy into the fact that I NEED them rather than want them would be harder than putting this in. I'll just let my mechanic deal with it and hope that he can have it done in the one day if he doesn't get too busy. Once again I appreciate the help.

Chris