MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-20-2002, 01:37 AM   #1
nicolette
Registered Member

Question Power Steering

Hey all, I am replacing my pressure and return hoses on my power steering unit, on my '68 coupe. The old ones completely haemmorraged and bled all the old fluid out.
I am getting the hoses on friday and will be putting them in with my dad. Any hints on this operation?. And also how should i replace the fluid?. Does it need bleeding much?.
I am wondering if this will make my power steering better, being the novice that i am, i didn't even notice i had it!!, as my steering wasn't all that 'powered' to begin with, especially compared to other cars i have driven. Kinda noticed something was wrong when my beasty started leaking all over the place tho!. Anyway thanks for ya help
Old 03-20-2002, 12:39 PM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

The hose change is straight forward but make sure that you don't mix them up and pay attention to the way they are positioned. After installing them I would have the car raised and turn the wheel side to side without the eng. running. This will make sure that there is no binding or rubbing, after that, with the reservoir full, start the car and turn the wheel side to side. Look for leaks and this will bleed the system without putting the load of the wheels on the ground.

With these lines removed you will almost completely drain the system, so the fluid will be changed. When the car is back on the ground and the fluid level rechecked you should be able to turn the wheel both ways with one hand and little effort.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:06 PM   #3
nicolette
Registered Member

Cool

Hi Clark,
Thankyou so much for your help. I hadn't thought of getting the wheels off the ground to make bleeding easier. Duh! hehe! anyway, i'll let ya know how we get on. Thanks again!