MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Loudest Cat-back 2 1/2" (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=33128)

86GT 01-15-2003 11:11 AM

Loudest Cat-back 2 1/2"

I'd post this as a poll, but I don't know all the brands. I'd just like to know what brand/model catback is the loudest you can buy. Flows? MAC? Other?

WADS56 01-15-2003 11:30 AM

There was a shotout a while back on catback systems and the MAC one was of the loudest. It was only like 1 decibale quieter then the loudest one I think.

bigred90gt 01-15-2003 12:10 PM

If I remember correctly the loudest one was the Flowtech Warlock system. It has a removeable cap. When you remove the cap, it is a straight through exhaust. I hear the Bassani is also loud.

Caymon

cyberstang5.0 01-15-2003 12:25 PM

I have MAC on my stang. I love the sound it puts out. Only at high RPMs does it get really loud. My dad has heard me over 2 blocks away when I romped on it :D

86GT 01-15-2003 12:36 PM

I have the MAC right now, and have thought about going with Flows... I guess mainly for a change, something different.

XR1stang 01-15-2003 01:16 PM

urgh, I'm really going to have to go about recording my car so people on the web can hear my set up. It's very loud (bad thing) and pretty unique.

My setup is FMS ceramic shorties, Bassani X w/o cats, and Borla XR1 catback. The XR1's make it extremely loud at WOT. I see people in convertables wince as I cruise by under normal conditions, I would hate to lay in to it next to a convert or someone with their windows down.

Maybe I'll actually take the laptop out this weekend and record it. lol, I have been saying that for almost 2 years now.

XR1stang

Chevysucks 01-15-2003 05:38 PM

I have bbk full length headers and off road h pipe, with mac 2 1/2 inch cat back and it sounds great. At about 3,000-3,500 rpm it is loud as hell. My brother heard me 3 blocks away when I romped on it.

bad85gt 01-15-2003 06:45 PM

Ive got mac long tubes, h pipe, and flow path mufflers, they are pretty loud and sound very tough! I suppose you could just bolt race mufflers up to headers if you really wanted a reason to get pulled over, hehe

01-15-2003 09:13 PM

the bassani race series are really loud ive heard it before and i thought they were open exhaust but he said they were bassani. they are really loud but do cost a little much 160$$$ a muffler

90GT Vert 01-15-2003 09:49 PM

i've got 2 1/2 o/r h-pipe and 2 1/2 flow tubes goin into 2 chamber flows. its ok, sounds like every other mustang. gonna go for a x-pipe and bassani next :D

93calcobra 01-15-2003 10:52 PM

anyone have spin techs i have flowmasters right now and i was going to change them out

429mustang 01-15-2003 11:40 PM

What were the two mufflers by Bassani that were in the muffler test a few months ago, one of them were supposed to be real loud (they were called real streets, or something similar)?

86GT 01-16-2003 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by XR1stang
urgh, I'm really going to have to go about recording my car so people on the web can hear my set up. It's very loud (bad thing) and pretty unique.

My setup is FMS ceramic shorties, Bassani X w/o cats, and Borla XR1 catback. The XR1's make it extremely loud at WOT. I see people in convertables wince as I cruise by under normal conditions, I would hate to lay in to it next to a convert or someone with their windows down.

Maybe I'll actually take the laptop out this weekend and record it. lol, I have been saying that for almost 2 years now.

XR1stang

Hey XR1 where'd you get that catback system? I heard that system is pretty much as loud as it gets.

XR1stang 01-16-2003 02:35 PM

I bought it a couple of years ago from a company in North Carolina. I can't remember their name off the top of my head, but they were in Greensboro and I 'think' their name was Race Specialties Inc or something like that.

They have me a decent deal for it, but all they did was exhaust stuff so I have never had the need to order from them again. I'll get the name and number for any one that is interested.

Yes, it's VERY loud :)

XR1stang

bigred90gt 01-17-2003 03:50 PM

Quote:

My setup is FMS ceramic shorties, Bassani X w/o cats, and Borla XR1 catback
XR1stang - Which type xr1's do you have? I checked out the Borla website, and they have about 10 different types of mufflers. About how much di the catback cost I'm just curious cause I'm up for a new exhaust and want the shock factor. I'm either goin with the Bassani's, XR1's or the Warlocks. Thanks for the info.
Caymon

XR1stang 01-17-2003 03:56 PM

well the ones that I have are the Ovals that come with the 94-95 Catback system they sell. I think I remember paying about $650 for it... yes I know it's EXPENSIVE, but to me it's worth it to be a bit different than all the Mac pro-chambered-flowmastered mustangs out there (not that there is a problem with them).

I'll find the receipt information tonight and post that. Then tomorrow I'm going to be doing some work on the car, got a 'new' TB, gonna clean the MAF and do the plugs, so while I'm at all that I'll bring the laptop out and record it for you guys. I hope to have something up this weekend for every one to hear.

XR1stang

fordman4life 01-28-2003 10:04 PM

I have the flowtech warlocks and uncapped they are the loudest mufflers since it is straightthrough design, they're still louder than flowmaster 40 series capped though.

GhettoPop 01-28-2003 10:41 PM

On a stock 5.0 engine and exhaust, will an aftermarket 3" cat-back system, lets say an MAC, be louder than a 2 1/2" MAC cat-back system? Also, will the 3" pipes decrease or increase rear wheel horses compared to a stock exhaust or a 2 1/2" system??