MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Lousy idle?

OK folks, I think I've already covered most of the basics on this one:
Car:93gt, pretty much bone stock.
Symptoms: The car started idling a little rough two days ago, got worse yesterday. Also noticed that when you come off the gas, the idle doesent drop all the way back down to normal, it holds around 1k-1200 for a second or two, then drops again.
With the car just sitting, the idle will slowly drop, then stumble and occasionally stall (but not always,some times it'll seem to just teeter on the brink)
You can also smell gas in the exaust

First thought was that it fouled a plug, (burns oil on 2 cyls) I check the usual cylinders, and indeed, one was looking pretty crappy, and the other was borderline. Replace them, cars's still doing it.
So far I've: Checked all the other plugs, all ok, replaced cap,rotor, wires,and coil (I just did the coil on general principal, since as far as I know its original)
Run throttle body cleaner through
Checked timing (with the spout in it fluctuates with the idle, with it out its at a solid 10deg. Also noticed that if I give it gas with the spout out, it seems to be running really rich, I can hear popping and occasional backfiring in the exaust)
Checked Vacuum, steady 13-14 lbs,
Ran car with IAC unhooked, no noticible change,
Ran car with MAF unhooked, car died after a few seconds
(The MAF was also cleaned about 3 weeks ago, but I havent pulled it out again)
I cant check the TPS, since i just found out that my multi meter is apparently dead
KOER I get 12,94,34. (I just got my reader a few weeks ago, and its had the 34 I just havent had a chance to screw w/ the egr yet)

Any ideas? Bad injector? Stuck open maybe?
Thanks
J

Also, maybe unrelated, but maybe not, I also noticed a new noise coming from the engine, sounds like pass side, cant be any more specific, it sounds linda like a "tsk tsk" but seems to come and go(?)....
'93 GT Mostly stock AKA "Fawkes"
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote