View Single Post
Old 12-31-2000, 11:46 PM   #8
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Unit5302 isn't wrong, it's just that some circumstances differ than others. I noticed a big difference in power from my stock exhaust because my cats were probably going south. If I already had an aftermarket crossover and cat back I'm willing to bet that I wouldn't have noticed much at all with the long tubes, and it may have even been a hit on my low end torque.

I think most people believe you have to have aftermarket heads, intake, and cam before installing long tubes to see any difference in power. Granted, those components will get the most out of a free flowing exhaust, but it is a known fact that the exhaust is a huge restriction on a stock 5.0. Open it up with exhaust and a bigger intake (which I am about to do) and the gain will be even more noticable.

You gotta start somewhere. Some people start with the mass air meter and TB, some start with heads, and some start with the exhaust. What's the difference? Start wherever you want, just make sure to pick the best components.

Figure out what you want to do before you buy anything then buy it one piece at a time. So what if it hurts performance at one end of the rpm range. If it's part of the big picture go for it.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site

[This message has been edited by AxemanZZ (edited 12-31-2000).]
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote