MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-10-2003, 08:52 AM   #1
TechWood
Registered Member

Question MAC or Flowmaster

I'm stumped between the flowmaster american thunder system or the mac. I originally wanted to go with the flowmasters because I'm a big fan of agressive exhaust notes and love the metallic muscle car sound that flowmaster provides. I've never seen or heard a stang with the macs so I can't compare the two. I was told the flowmasters are all sound and no go. That they're too open and don't provide enough back pressure for a good hp increase. Not sure how true this is or not but I've been recommended the macs by more than one person. I also like the fact that the macs come with an optional 3.5" chrome tails. How do the macs compare to the flowmaster or vice-versa as far as overall performance? What difference is there in sounds between the two? Additionally, I plan on installing mac full lengths and pro chamber h-pipe along with the cat back. Like I said, I'm a big fan of an aggressive exhaust bark and don't want my car sounding like an F-150 with 2" dynomax and likewise run like one. Any info, feedback, or suggestions are appreciated.
TechWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
429mustang
Registered Member

Magnaflows are supposed to be good, I would like to try a set of the dynomax ultraflow race mufflers.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
Agent_4573
Registered Member

if your gonna get a mac h-pipe and headers, mine-as-well keep it all the same and get the mac muffs. Usually matched setts sound and perform better than anything else.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #4
mpj76
Registered Member

I have a MAC catback system with chrome tailpipes. Sounds great BUT...the tailpipes start rusting after about two weeks. My friends Flowmasters did the same. Go with a stainless system, or keep your stock stainless pipes. I live in central Florida (no snow, salt spray, or acid rain).
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:15 AM   #5
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i put on an x-pipe and a magnaflow SS cat back, excellent quality, sounds awesome, about 1/2 the price of borla for, in my opinion, the same quality and sound
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
Mountain Main
Registered Member

Default I like MAC's

I have MAC Shorty's. MAC Off Road X-Pipe and MAC Mufflers with the tail pipe combo. The great thing about the MAC Mufflers and the MAC Tail pipes is that I am able to take the tail pipes off and polish them. MAC has a real throtty sound to them. I don't really like the sound of Flow Masters. They don't sound that violent. I love driving down the road and settings off car alarms.

Mountain Main
Mountain Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:39 AM   #7
VeNuM
Registered Member

I love my Magnaflows. My car had Flowmasters on it when I first bought it, at first I thought I liked it, but now I hate them after I've heard many other combo's. I had MAC headers and H-pipe and I truely believe a monkey could have done a better job, their stuff is crap in my honest opinion. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: