MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-02-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
crazypete
Registered Member

Default Mac prochamber or Bassani X-pipe with mac 5/8 longtubes + Am Thunder?

Hi there folks

I finally lost patience after 3 hours of mangling my knuckles on shorty headers and ordered some MAC 1 5/8 longtubes to get the flange under the car where it belongs (By the way, I'll be selling the mac 1 5/8 equals and the gt-40p shorty headers soon). Due to a shipping error, instead of the longtubes, I get a box with a mac prochamber (2.5l?) in it. The headers are on their way but I have a great offer from the company to keep the prochamber for quite a good price.

Now originally I was going to take the front sections off my bassani x-pipe (they unclamp and slide out just behind the forward exhaust hangers) and shorten them (get the flange and 2-3 inches of tube and slide back in) to work with my new headers but now I kinda like the way the prochamber looks (and then I'll sell a mint bassani xpipe too). What do you think folks? GT-40P headed NA 600 cfm carbed motor, automatic, 4.56 gears, all street, mid rpm (2000-3000) and american thunder at the other side. Which will serve me better for my application?
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Default Re: Mac prochamber or Bassani X-pipe with mac 5/8 longtubes + Am Thunder?

prochamber with longtubes and a carbed motor would scream, will actually be pretty dang loud, so be prepared, but that, in my opinion is a beatiful sound
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

Default Re: Mac prochamber or Bassani X-pipe with mac 5/8 longtubes + Am Thunder?

I'm reading so many good things about that prochamber, I am very tempted to keep it.

But!

When I went to the speed shop last month, the guys outside wanted to look under the car to see what exhaust I was running since it sounded so sweet. You cant mess with that! That was equal shorties + bassani+ thunder

I was wondering more along hp/torque curves in the low-midrange which would be better for numbers.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 11-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypete
I'm reading so many good things about that prochamber, I am very tempted to keep it.

But!

When I went to the speed shop last month, the guys outside wanted to look under the car to see what exhaust I was running since it sounded so sweet. You cant mess with that! That was equal shorties + bassani+ thunder

I was wondering more along hp/torque curves in the low-midrange which would be better for numbers.
I think with either midpipe, you will get about the same power. If there is any difference, it would be neglidgable. In which case, sound preference would come into play, and I think the prochamber sounds awsome!!! I have a 90 gt with your exact exhaust setup, and it sounds good. I had a prochamber and 2 chamber flows on my 01 gt and it sounded much better (except for the lack of lope from the cam in the 90).
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

If you liked that Basani pipe, by all means keep the pro chamber! They sound MEAN. Kinda literally a screaming sound at speed, hard to describe, but you won't be disappointed. I read your thread title, and in my mind thought it was something you were going to buy. I was going to suggest the pro chamber instead, if you were willing to spend the extra bux.

Now given your situation, I DEFINITELY would keep the pro chamber.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
crazypete
Registered Member

I'm totally sold on the prochamber now!

I'm all about bolting up the midpipe without resizing things.

Thanks guys! It actually looks like a huge catalytic converter from a distance so I could fool some ignorant cops in case I get pulled over.

Hmmmm, is this going to be easy to install? I mean do I need to wedge things together since the headers are now horizontal and I dont lift this into place anymore. I need to wedge this inbetween the mufflers and headers. Is it easy or a nightmare? I bet after installing longtubes, everything will look easy.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

It shouldnt be that hard since your catback is hung with rubber hangers, it will move with little problems. I know you wont be disappointed with the prochamber!!!
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote