MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-31-2002, 11:16 AM   #1
RAINSTANG
Registered Member

Question MAC Trottle Body, etc..

I'm thinking about adding the MAC 70mm throttle body, EGR spacer and fenderwell cold air induction to my 92 GT. If I mail order everything from an ad in MMFF it's less than $350.00 and they claim up to 28 hp gain. I have MAC equal lenghth headers so the engine is breathing out ok, now I want it to breath in. I talked with the local Ford performance shop (they're a MAC dealer) and they say that although MAC isn't the best, it's good stuff at a bargain price. After I install this stuff I'll save up for new injectors and fuel pump. Any experiences or input about this set up would be appreciated. Oh yeah, other than the headers, 9mm FMS plug wires & a K&N in the stock air box it's all stock with 67,000 miles.
92GT,K&N, air silencer removed, MAC equal length shorty headers,9mm FMS wires, 2 chamber Flowmasters, Hurst Billet Plus,King Cobra clutch,FMS aluminum drive shaft,FMS 3:55's, KYB struts, shocks & quads.
RAINSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 01:11 PM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

Sounds like a great price, but I would say you don't need more than a 65mm tb unless you are going to go with new heads, intake and cam. You sure will NOT need new injectors or fuel pump until you have the heads, cam and intake and are well over 300hp. The HP claims that people and places make are often founded more in wishful thinking than in reality. Spend the money on a bigger MAF (C&L makes a nice unit), fuel pressure regulator (Kirban makes a nice unit), and start thinking about suspension stuff (subframes, upper and lower control arms) and good tires. You need to have a good idea of where you want to go with the car. If you are going to go with heads, cam and intake, a power adder (nitrous, supercharger or turbo setup), then it is a good idea to go with the parts that will support those systems, such as the 70mm tb, fuel pump and injectors etc. The problem is those parts won't do dick for you until you get the heads and or power adder. If you are going to keep the motor pretty much stock, save your money you'll just make your car slower. Do some research on the boards by searching topics and you'll get all the info you'll need. Good luck
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:00 PM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

i agree a 70mm TB might be a little too big for your set up. a 65 might be a better choice. i have the MAC 70mm TB and it works fine, just whistles a little sometimes.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 05:09 PM   #4
RAINSTANG
Registered Member

Default Thanks

What you guys say makes total sense. If all of the magazine ads were true I'd have 600 hp for $1000.00. I wish I understood Mass Air better. Do you think a 73mm MAF and the fenderwell cold air induction would get the engine breathing better with the stock trottle body?
92GT,K&N, air silencer removed, MAC equal length shorty headers,9mm FMS wires, 2 chamber Flowmasters, Hurst Billet Plus,King Cobra clutch,FMS aluminum drive shaft,FMS 3:55's, KYB struts, shocks & quads.
RAINSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 06:18 PM   #5
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I agree that the 70mm TB may be a bit big for your current setup. I would bet that a larger MAF would help you out about as much as a larger TB would. Also, you can go pretty big on the MAF since all it does is meter the air coming in. It's just a restricition in the air path. I went with the 76mm C&L unit and have been very pleased. I got a GREAT deal on it through JD's Performance in a group purchase. Also, it's made so you can swap out sampling tubes when you change injectors rather than having to send it off to calibrate it. And it comes with a line aluminum inlet elbow. I'd do something like that and then if you insist on fender induction, I'd get a Morosso kit...cheaper and better made than the BBK units, and it only goes from the MAF to the fender.

The decision is up to you. Remember, you're only going to flow as well as the least flowing part of your combo. Eventually, you are going to need both a MAF and a TB, and if you go with heads and intake in the future, a 70mm TB probably won't hurt you. However, with your current setup, you will likely lose some down low torque, and 65mm TB's have been shown to flow plenty of air for big horsepower.

I run the MAC 70mm on my combo, and I'm pleased with it, although like HiFlow stated, it whistles on occasion. One more thing, MAC was back-ordered on their EGR spacers, so they only sent me the TB...like that would do me any good! I was in a rush, so JD's, who I ordered from, ended up eating the cost of an Accufab spacer and overnighting it to me (there's quality customer service for you...thanks JD's), and let me tell you, I was blown away by the extreme quality of product that Accufab puts out. If I had the extra $$$, I would have sprung for the TB from them as well.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote