MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-09-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Default Sparks everywhere

I have a crane cams ignition box with a MSD 7 High output coil I also have ford racing wires that are like less then 2 years old. When I opened up my hood tonight in the dark I could see little sparks goin everywhere from the wires to the engine from the boots to the metal of the spark plug base. It kinda scares me cause I have a wet NOS system that runs fuel around the wires. Is there a really good wire set for high voltage outputs, I thought the Ford Racing wires would be good enough
289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Default Re: Sparks everywhere

I'd make sure all of your wires are pushed on. They'll click if they're on all the way. I've never heard of that before. Must be some gnarly ignition. Mallory makes some sleeving to go around plug wires. You have to use them with custom made wires because they must be slipped on before you install the plug boots. You might try Mallory sidewinder wires with the Mallory sleeves. I believe the sleeves cost around $60. I have them on a 65 Plymouth and they don't spark at all. It has a crane racing ignition on it. Good luck.
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters

65 Mustang 13.50 107mph 3000' ALt.

65 Falcon Straight Axle Drag Car
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:27 AM   #3
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Depending on the climate, the exhaust temperatures, and the hours you have put on them, they just might have aged prematurely. The heat from the headers never helps. Check to make sure they are properly seated.....otherwise replace them.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

yeah it was very dry here and I was getin shocked with static so maybe that had something to do with it too. But If they are shorting right though the wires to metal I think I need new ones right
Old 03-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

make sure all wires are plugged in securely, if it still sparks, get new wires ASAP. wires sound shot. MSD 8.5mm are great
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

What are the best wires for mid length mac headers and a 40k volt msd 7 coil. The Ford racing wires I got had a 45 degree angle and they worked good to clear my headers
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

I like the MSD wires also. I think the boot angle is adjustable from straight to 90 degrees. Almost any aged wires will show those sparks at night. Just means the wires are shot and leaking voltage..

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Use the supplied grease for the boots. Electricity will take the least path of resistance.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:49 AM   #9
Capri306

Reminds me of the days when I could fool my younger brother into helping me check my spark plug wires. I'd ask him to hold onto a wire and 'see if you hear anything funny.' Hehehehe, God, I'm evil...and so are MSD boxes but in a good way.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:34 AM   #10
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I've had awesome luck with the Ford Racing wires. Although I abuse the hell outta them, they get changed every spring AT LEAST. Usually replace them halfway through the summer as well, but most of the time that's more than likely my fault. "Oh hell, that WAS laying on the header!" That type of stuff.

Capri306, I did the same stuff too! No little brother, but I had a few cousins running around that didn't know any better. I'd get them with the electric fence (grew up on a farm) and we had a Model T coil running around too, just for such fun. hehehehehe

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
drag79stang
Dont make me take my belt off

I've also had absolutely no problems with ford racing wires. I too change them religiously at the beginning of each racing season. ALTHOUGH I did just dyno the engine using last years wires. Ooooops...........:>)
drag79stang is offline   Reply With Quote