MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
gbeals
68-351W

Default adding a tach to my non tach 68

How is this accomplished? Does anyone have a link to a "HowTo" ? Looking to replace the ugly clock with a tach.
gbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: adding a tach to my non tach 68

Did you alredy purchase a tachometer to put in the clock's place? What kind did you get? I don't have any links to share on that particular task. Normal tachometer's are wired like this
Green--Negative side of coil
Black--Ground
Red--12v switched source
White--12v light wire (a wire that has 12v when you turn on your headlights, but 0 when they are off)
Old 03-29-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
gbeals
68-351W

Thanks, seems simple enough.. No i havent purchased a tach yet, I wanted to figure out the wiring first, and make sure there wasn't a particual type I should be buying. I believe it is a 5" that is required though.. I appreciate the info..
Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros

I can tell you, don't waste your money on that sunpro stuff at Autozone. Spend the extra dough and get an autometer. They come with wiring instructions. Look at the tachs on autometer's site, they have all the dimensions of their tachs. This way you know for sure if it will fit before buying one. Some of the 5" tach use a 3 3/4" (I believe that's what it is) mounting hole.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
gbeals
68-351W

Great advice, I was looking into those - couldnt figure out why they were so much cheaper - that had me wonder to begin with. I was looking at autometer -ebay has some pretty cheap (cheaper at any rate) autometers.. Im looking into getting a whole set. Speedo, Tach, Oil, Volts, Temp. Do you think those are the correct gauges to get?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:43 PM   #6
Ieatcamaros

I'd definitely get those gauges. They are a "must have" in my book.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeals
I was looking at autometer -ebay has some pretty cheap (cheaper at any rate) autometers.. Im looking into getting a whole set. Speedo, Tach, Oil, Volts, Temp. Do you think those are the correct gauges to get?
While buying stuff like this on eBay will most of the time get you a better deal initially, I would recommend you get your parts through a certified supplier like Jegs or Summit or the like.
I had a problem with an autometer tach, and luckily Summit let me exchange it and they dealt with the warranty stuff.

Most of the time when you buy stuff like that from a "company" on eBay, they are not a certified supplier and the warranty through Autometer is not valid.

Just a suggestion
Old 03-31-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
gbeals
68-351W

I have a summit catalog arriving any day now - I'll prob. place my order with them. Yeah, warranty is where it's at with stuff like this.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
gbeals
68-351W

Just started looking at summit online and a few Q's arose....

Mechanical or Electrical? Could someone explain the difference?

I've got 5 locations to fill..

Speed
Tach
Oil
Water
Fuel

Need the above - but no space for volts... I could always do a pod, but they come in 2's... Any other gauge I should be looking at to fill the space? Or should I leave out volts?

Last edited by gbeals; 03-31-2005 at 07:24 PM..
Old 03-31-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
Ieatcamaros

Most people will tell you that one is no better than the other. Some people (like me) had just rather have a mechanical gauge. Lets use the oil pressure gauge as an example. A mechanical op gauge uses a nylon or copper line running from the block to the back of the gauge. You will have an oil line inside your car. To many people this is not cool. But aside from getting the correct fittings to fit the line to the block, that is all a mechanical gauge consists of. An electrical gauge uses a sending unit that you mount on the block and run a wire from the sending unit to the back of the gauge. There is more that could fail in an electrical gauge. The sending unit and the gauge itself. With a mechanical gauge, the gauge itself is the only thing you have to worry about. I like mechanical gauges better because I have a hard time trusting a sending unit. Just think about factory gauges.

Are you going to put in a fuel pressure gauge or a fuel level gauge? If it's a fuel pressure gauge, I'd hook it up and leave it under the hood somewhere. Then you can put the voltmeter in that hole. If it's a fuel level gauge and you are going to get a pod, then some gauge suggestions to fill the other hole are: Trans temp (if you have an auto), Oil temp, or an air/fuel ratio gauge.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #11
gbeals
68-351W

Are you going to put in a fuel pressure gauge or a fuel level gauge? If it's a fuel pressure gauge, I'd hook it up and leave it under the hood somewhere. Then you can put the voltmeter in that hole. If it's a fuel level gauge and you are going to get a pod, then some gauge suggestions to fill the other hole are: Trans temp (if you have an auto), Oil temp, or an air/fuel ratio gauge.[/QUOTE]

Fuel level gauage is what i was referring to.. Yeah dont want to put a fuel pressure in the cab - bad... bad... I like the idea about the trans temp.. I think we have a winner..

Ieatcamaros - nice name by the way.. You seem to know your stuff - so I have a side question for you. Down the road Im planning on removing the ingition (somehow) and using switches to start my accessories, then use the push start to start the car (im obviously not going for a stock look) Is something like this possible? What are the items that I'll need to wire up to switches (waterpump, fuel pump, etc...) Ultimatley I'd like to use no key. I am aware of the security issues. This is a weekend ride so im not too worried.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #12
Ieatcamaros

Thanks for the compliment. In reality, I think you'll be happier with your car by just turning the key and having everything wired up that way. But it is totally possible to do what you want to. I guess your planning on putting an electric water pump? All you have to do is run 12v wires from the battery to each accessory switch. You can use toggle switches. You will want to run your fuel pump, water pump, and fan (if you plan on running an electric fan) through relays. You can get 30 amp relays at the parts stores. They tell you on the back of the package which terminal is what. Use 15 or 20 amp toggle switches and use 12 gauge wire. You might survive with 14 but no smaller. Hope this sheds a little light for ya.

**Edit** There are other ways to do this. This is just one way of doing the job.