MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-17-2001, 07:00 PM   #1
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Post Mass air, Must I???

I have a 88 with out mass air now I am going to get a Holley SysteMAX II kit and It say to have a 70MM mass air I know it would help to get mass air but coulde I run it with SD, will it hurt something?? I am planing on get Accel DFL and will not need mass air at all. But I need more $$$.

------------------
1988 LX 5.0 Was 3060lbs (full Tank) 14.62@96.9On a Gtech Drivetrain: 3.55, World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Adjustable Cluch Cable, AL Driveshaft, Manual Steering Rack Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, K&N, Under Drive Pulles Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\back Cooling:3 Core Radiator
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:33 PM   #2
stangbang
Registered Member

I installed the same kit on my 88gt and used a c&l 76mm mas and aod computer,I am told that the sd computer wont react as fast to changes as the mass air,but if you are going to run a dfi i don't think i would bother with a mass air until you can afford it. bye the way the cam in the kit has a nice lopey idle to it.
stangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:36 PM   #3
stangbang
Registered Member

I installed the same kit on my 88gt and used a c&l 76mm mas and aod computer,I am told that the sd computer wont react as fast to changes as the mass air,but if you are going to run a dfi i don't think i would bother with a mass air until you can afford the dfi. bye the way the cam in the kit has a nice lopey idle to it.
stangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:48 PM   #4
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Great that was what I wanted to hear I orderd a BBK 255 fule pump about 10min. ago. Now I need Injectors What ones should I get?? (30) Do I need to change The computer for the Injectors? Thanks
Old 07-17-2001, 08:54 PM   #5
Brian88
Registered Member

i ran the b cam and cobra roller rockers with speed density. i had it tuned preety good, but i could not run any more injector than a 19. it was also preety hard to keep running in traffic and idle and cold. i switched to mass air and couldn't be happier. the cam became more crisp and i feel it pulls harder.

just my experience.

those 30s will probably be way too much for speed density to handle.
Brian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:54 PM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

You're going to need to convert to a mass air for the types of changes you're proposing. That's not what you want to hear, but that's what you'll need to do to take full advantage of your changes. Especially if you plan to install new injectors and such. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 08:12 PM   #7
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Well I will Get the Accel DFI frist but can I tune it my self I know It would not be the best but I would like to try if I could? Has anyone ever done a tune with DFI??