MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-04-2002, 11:58 AM   #1
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Default mech advance or vacuum advance?

swaping to car..combo is in sig..im learning as i go ...so what is better and why?what are the advantages of using a MSD mechanical advance as oposed to an 85 distrubter?

and what is the diffrence between points and elctronic?i am carbed illiterate..im too young(23) to know that stuff..i grew up with EFI

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

You and I are in the same boat. I am soon to be 23 and also grew up with EFI. I did a 300 6 cyl to 302 swap in a truck I had and went carb but nothing performance just stock replacement stuff. The drag motor is carbed and my guru here suggested I go vacuum adavance know because of my level of knowledge, affordability, and ease of work. I am going to use a MSD 6AL box. Good thin about that is it can be used with either distrubutor. I got a 85 dist at the parts store for $85 with cap rotor and base. Not to bad a price I think. I would suggest the vacuum advance due to availibilty and ease of operation. I understand wanting optimum performance but I dont want to buy parts that wont benefit me yet if I dont have to.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:19 PM   #3
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Exclamation

Vacuum is better for a street car, when cruising at part throttle the timing doesn't advance so you'll get better fuel economy and at part throttle acceleration the curve will advance faster from the change in vacuum, whereas a mechanical advance is controlled by the engine rpm.

For a drag car that doesn't need fuel economy, driveability or part throttle response and spends most of it's time at full advance (3000+ RPM) then mechanical is the way to go.

If you do go with vacuum advance, find someone who knows how to re-curve distributors, it's becoming a lost art but it makes a big difference.

BTW I'm only 24 and since the mustang mags don't talk much about carb tuning (except for some full blown race motors) I've learned a lot from HOT ROD and from other books about tuning carbs.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:30 AM   #4
PKRWUD

I have never seen a distributor that had vacuum advance, and did not also have mechanical advance. If you are asking if you should just use mechanical advance as opposed to using both, it depends on what you want to use the engine for. If you are building an everyday driver, I would recommend using both. If you are building a weekend only racer, i'd just use mechanical.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
David Fulford
Registered Member

Is there an exact science or science at all for changing the springs that are in the MSD distributors for altering the mechanical advance. I just stuck the distributor(MSD8582)in as it came. I have several other springs and what not. Would I really get any noticeable performance gains from messing with it a bit?
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;Weiand Accelerator;1.6 rockers
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:53 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Yeah, there is a science to it, actually. The lighter springs allow the full advance to be acheived earlier, whereas the heavier springs put the full advance off until a much higher rpm. When you want the advance to reach full depends on everything else, like your gears, your other engine mods, etc.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 03:13 PM   #7
David Fulford
Registered Member

Makes sense. Thanks! I guess I will play with it a bit and see what happens. Although knowing me I'll screw something up. Later.
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;Weiand Accelerator;1.6 rockers
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote