MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-31-2002, 01:17 PM   #1
red93gt1
Registered Member

Default Mech. vs Elec. Gauges

I was thinking about upgrading the stock water temp. and oil pressure gauges in my 93 GT. Which is the better/more accurate type of gauge to use? And what does the installation of each involve? Thanks in advance.
red93gt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 01:28 PM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I have Autometer mechanical gauges on my Stang. I'm not sure which is more accurate - probably debatable. But, as long as you stick with a reputable name (i.e. Autometer, et al.) you should be fine - definately much better than the stock gauges.

The installation is very easy too. If you have specific questions, post them and we will try to answer them.

Good luck,
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
89Saleen215
Registered Member

I agree...stick with a good company like Autometer and you won't go wrong...Summit has some excellent prices...and if it's not listed call them, they can get it.

Another thing to consider is the "needle sweep". When I custom ordered my gauges from Autometer it was under the understanding that the electrical ones had a full sweep face....not so. I sent them back and now have mechanical full sweep face.

To some this is an issue...to some it's not...to each his own.

Just a thought.

Saleen 89-215
89Saleen215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 05:12 PM   #4
lx mike
Undescribable

either one will be better that the stock gauges you have.

i prefer mechanical cause at the track i can see my engine water temp without having to run engine. mechanical are a bit harder to hookup cause you have to run the lines through the firewall and with electric all you need to run are wires.

89Saleen215 is right about the needle sweep, on elect gauges the need only moves 90 degree's and on mech gauges it moves 270 degrees kinda like this

elect \ | /

\ /
mech
/ \

but any gauges you get will be better that stock, then you can know how hot or what pressure instead of just seeing it on the o,r,m in the fact gauges.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 05:18 PM   #5
bosco
Registered Member

I prefer mechanical, for no particular reason, just a personal preferance
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:11 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Mach 1 and I used to get into heated debates about this question. Bottom line is that installed properly, they are both accurate. I prefer mechanical. keep in mind that any resistance at all, either in the wires, sending unit or at the block (too much teflon tape on one of the adapter threads) will effect an electrical gauges accuracy. Also remember that an electrical gauge cannot leak oil inside your car. There are pros and cons to both.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:57 AM   #7
No Groc Getter
Registered Member

I've had both Auto Meter mechanical and electric oil pressure guages in my car and prefer mechanical. It has been a while since I saw the electric one so don't flame me if I'm wrong on this, but there are only like 10 graduations from 0 to 100. On the mechanical it is every 2 PSI from 10 on.... I like that much better. The mechanical came with small capillary tubing that crimped, so it was kind of delicate. I eventually ran a long braided steel line into the car. (If you run the braided steel line it will be a handful whereever you put it. I put mine in with the AM kit with the AC vents.)