MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2001, 12:37 PM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Post Mechanical Gauge install?

in a couple days ill be geting my ford racing mechanical gauges...i got oil preshure,water temp and voltmeter...where do i hook these gauges up exactly? and will my factory gauges in the dash still work??

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,E303 cam,cobra intake,76mm MAF,70mm tb
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:55 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Demon GT.

Just this weekend, Tim C and I hooked up a set of mechanical gauges on my 64 1/2. It's not that difficult, just have to take some care with the coolant temprature gauges temp tube. Do NOT kink it or bend it to fast. Its like a long bendable thermometer.

As for your old gauges in the dash. Yes they should work, with the exception of the oil gauge. The oil gauge that comes factory in these cars isnt an acutall functioning gauge, its just a fancy "idiot" light. It will read a little over half if you have 7 psi. When you get below 5-6 psi, then it reads zero.

You can put a T in the line going to the guages and hook the dash guage up so it doesnt read No pressure if you want.

I put my coolant guage probe in the goose neck coming off the intake manifold. It came with the proper fittings and all. Just dont forget to use some RTV or thread sealant.

You can hook your voltmeter up in several fashions. I hooked mine up so as soon as the ignition switch in "On" or "accesories" its on. The Volt meter drops to Zero when cranking, but that doesnt bother me, I was to lazy and didnt have enougth time to hook it up the other way.

If you need more help installing or advice just ask.

------------------
64 1/2 Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 04-12-2001).]
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 03:24 PM   #3
DemonGT
Registered Member

my freind who is helping me is a wiring expert so the voltmeter shouldnt be a prob..but im still not 100% clear on where the oil preshure and water temp hook up to??

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,E303 cam,cobra intake,76mm MAF,70mm tb
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 03:42 PM   #4
Mach 1
Registered Member

Its "pressure", not "preshure". The oil connects just above the oil filter, you will see the factory wire coming from it. You should have got electrical gauges, but since you didnt, remove the sending unit, and install the fitting that should come with your gauges.

The water temp hooks up to the intake manifold. On the front of the manifold, driver side, you will see the factory wire going to a sending unit. Again, remove it, and install your mechanical gauge fitting, then route the hose for the fluids inside your interior. Good luck.
If you dont want to hassle with the fluid hoses, send them back and get electrical gauges, which are just as accurate, easier to install, and safer.
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote