MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-04-2002, 07:45 PM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Unhappy More idling problems.

Ok, some of you read my last post concernign my idling problems. I had installed a C&L 73mm mass air meter. I was told to run it without a sample tube and it would be calibrated for 19lbs. After hearing that I needed a tube I bought one and installed it last night. Now the car is running like complete crap. It will not find a steady idle and then it will stall out from time to time. Also when I pull up to a light, it really starts to stutter and want to die. When I leave the light, the cars sputters real bad, hesitates real bad, and sound like there is a gurggling (spelling?) and almost a hint of backfiring coming from under the hood. It will also do this when I slow down and go through a corner in 2nd gear. Anybody have an idea what this is all about? Its pretty annoying. Smells like its real rich also. I need help on this please!!!

Chris
Old 06-05-2002, 06:30 AM   #2
Chris_H
Registered Member

Ok here is an update. I got home from school last night, changed out the meters and put the stock one back on. Started the car up and it idled just fine. Took it for a ride, and not a hint of what was wrong just 10 minutes earlier. Any ideas? I am going to call C&L today to make sure they sent the right sample tube. Other than that, I don't know what to do.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 02:33 PM   #3
USMC302
Registered Member

SOunds like your on the right track, See what C&L says and make sure the tube is correct. You may need to adjust timing after the meter also, your computer is the one that is affected most with this swap, if you have a chip installed it could be conflicting..
Old 06-05-2002, 04:39 PM   #4
Chris_H
Registered Member

Ok, I called C&L today and talked with them about the problem. They say that I need to move the mass air meter away from the head unit of the supercharger. They say that the unit can cause impellar wash, and cause the voltage to change due to it being so close to the head unit. They say I am better off puttin the meter in the fender, but they don't recommend the power pipe. He said that they seem to have problems with them too. He also stated that I might want to get a bypass valve for the supercharger since I don't have one on there right now. So I called Paxton and talked with a tech there. I explained my problem to her and she said the same exact thing as the C&L tech did. She said that there is too much impellar wash coming from the unit, and that they recommend I put the meter in the fenderwell also. They said they do not make the bypass valves for the Novi 1000.
So, does anybody have a cheap and simple way of making a fenderwell kit? I was thinking some flex hose, kind of like dryer hose, and using that. Anybody tried this before? Thanks for any help.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote