MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2001, 05:55 PM   #1
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Post More torque?

Hey guys. I'm looking into some really basic mods on what's still a box-stock '93 coupe. I'm really looking to boost my low-end torque, and I'm also trying not to do anything too major that might screw with the drivability. My budget is about $2000 at a time, so no superchargers.

The car is driven on the highway about an hour a day, total, and I've noticed that it's kinda pokey under 1800-2000rpm in 4th of 5th. I was hoping I could free it up a little and pick up some torque off the line. I don't race it, but I hate revving it way up to get a decent launch. I'd rather slip the clutch around 1500 and punch it.

Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 12:41 AM   #2
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Gears, pulleys, not to radical exhaust

laugh will you will, but on a stock engine or nearly stock (stock cam/heads/intake), an 1-1/2 header with a good H or X pipe and some decent mufflers will probably keep exhaust gas velocity up and keep from over scaveging the engine.

Any backpressure present is force the engine has to exert against, sucking up power. I find it interesting folks maintain a little bit of backpressure is good for power? Probably what they are refering to is a little bit to much exhaust scavenging is bad for power especially in a fuelie application (nothing like massive unburnt A/F mix running across an oxyegen sensor!)

Anywhosit, what you want to accomplish is complete evacuation of the cylinder minimizing or elminating "negative torque" acting against the piston, furthermore if you can achieve a state where there is a vaccum present in the cylinder as the intake opens and allows fresh A/F into the cylinder, its like geting a little boost from supercharging.

The former is what is probably accomplished by most exhaust systems. the latter is a tricky affair and requires a tuned exhuast system that is sensetive to the timing events of the engine. Since the exhast will use refraction (sp?) waves to provide for the enhanced scavaging which is similar to the technique used in a tuned intake manifold to achieve the same super-charging results

MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote