MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2002, 08:51 PM   #1
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

Default Motor back together - strange noise????

Once again, I hate it when this happens!

I finally got everything back together (see list in signature) and the long awaited desire to have everthing work properly.....but no, I have a ticking/popping noise coming from the drivers side. It is much like the ticking from a leaking header gasket, but it's doesn't really seem like a metallic noise. The sound does not have a steady rhythm, so it doesn't seem like it could be a rocker hitting the cover. I had checked the rocker to valve cover clearance and saw no contact without the gaskets. The rhythm is kind of like a sporadic ticking.

I retightened the header bolts even though none were loose (they turned 1/8- 1/2 turn) but the noise didn't change.

Also tightened the header flange-to-hpipe bolts but still no difference.

Checked all my plug wires to make sure they are not crossed.

The noise was much worse on initial fire up. I realized the dist was one tooth off when I couldn't get the timing up past about 15 ATDC. A few cuss words and one tooth over and now I am at 14 BTDC. The noise was then much better. When I plugged the SPOUT back in the engine ran better and the noise was even a little less.

What's really strange is that the noise goes away as soon as I bring it up from 750 idle. I think I can hear the same type of noise coming from the passenger side at idle but I have to listen really close.

The noise seems to be loudest when the idle surges into it's "lumpiest" zone. In other words, roughest idle - loudest noise.

Is it possible that this is common to TW heads or the E-cam? Other than this noise the engine sounds good, especially with the little lope. Haven't driven it yet - want to figure this out first.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Dan
Spec Service (UHP), BFG G-Force KDW's, Turbo Coupe 3.55 rear w/disks, 73mm calipers, Stg 1 Twisted Wedges, TFS Street Intake, 70mm TB, E cam, Crane 1.7's, Aeromotive FPR, BBK 1 5/8 shorties, elec fan, FMS Al Radiator, Moroso Wires, Kenne Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, 190 lph Walbro, FMS Al Dshaft, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C spngs, strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, Prothane bushings, MM Lwr Conrol Arms, KB welded subs, Cervini Mach 1 hood/valence/side skirts/wing/airdam.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote