MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-11-2002, 06:28 PM   #1
Mustang_GT_90
Registered Member

Default Motor Mounts And Hoosier Quicktimes

This is a two part question. First of all I've managed to destroy my drivers side motor mount spraying in low gears. I'm going to put a torque strap on it and replace the mounts but I want a tougher mount. What are you guys running and having luck with?
I looked at the poly mounts that they sale in summit for roughly $150(both the transmission and the motor mounts but that seems a bit high). I've also been told that I will be fine running a set of stock convertible mounts that they were tougher but I'm about to start running it on slicks and would like to beef it up.

Next is about the actual slicks, I'm wanting something I can get away with legally on the street that way when a cop pulls me over I can say they're legal. I looked at the BFG drag radials and I've looked at the Nittos and Hoosiers. I wanted the BFGs but I don't like the sizes and then I looked at the Hoosier Quicktimes. They are legal and I've seen cars yank the wheels on them but what size can you fit under a stock 87-93 tirewell. I've got an extra set of 8 inch welds I just bought for them will a 245/60D15 fit on the backend without rubbing. The quad shocks are in place. I'm getting away with 275 series cooper cobras right now so I think they'll fit.
Here are the specs on them:
Size: 245/60D-15
Rim: 6-8''
Tread: 8.0''
Section: 9.8''
Diameter: 26.1''
Anybody running anything like this and how do they hook? I just got my driveshaft saftey loop on and am about to order a set. Sorry to be so long in this post but I was trying to cover all questions in advance.
Thanks for any input
Check out our clubs website at http://www.stanggang.com
Mustang_GT_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 07:18 PM   #2
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

As far as the motor mounts go i recently did the same thing without the spray and i was looking around for a good set. I wanted to go with the energy suspension ones but they were fairly expensive. I also heard the conv. ones were stronger but i ended up getting a set of moroso solid motor mounts. When i got them (used) they had be cut and rewelded to keep the engine is the stock position. And i love them. The car has a LITTLE shake with them but its actually pretty good and only does it when idling sometimes. So i would reccomend them or something similar. As for tires i cant say much but im looking into a set of the hoosier quicktimes or quicktime pros. Because if i remember right they are both street legal.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:25 PM   #3
shadowblue89
Registered Member

I have used the stock mounts in the past and always seem to break them with in a month. I then switch to the conv. mounts(which are cheaper then the orig.) and have not broke one since. I do not use N2O so I am not sure how well they would hold up for you. You should give them a try as they are the cheapest route to go with. If they don't work just use them with a torque strap.(Which I have recently put on since I have a fresh motor in my car now)

89 GT 5spd
shadowblue89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I have run a 26x10.5 et street, m/t, it fits well, and is streetlegal, well actually it did rub the quad a little, not enough to cause any damage, i recomend the polyuerethane trans mounts, i love mine, motor mounts i have are stock, far as i know, i do recomend welded subframe connectors, my friend has an 88 notch, about as stock as mine but with 4.10 grs and 26x12.50 m/t sportsman pros, he made a pass, came back around, and we found his hood dented from the throttlebody, where his engine twisted, he laughed and said the mounts were brand new?

he didnt have subframe conectors, and i believe keeping the chassis in line helps all together, i might have to think about vert mounts in case i get a bottle, i didnt dare run slicks without subframes, i seen people twist the floorpan out of place under the back seat area, of course that was a 4.30 gr 347 with nos.

do those cooper cobras hook pretty good?
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 09:54 PM   #5
andy669
Registered Member

I like the HPM solid mounts. The HPM-6000-BZ lower the engine 3/4 of an inch. The HPM-6010-AZ are the stock height units. For $70 I think they are priced reasonable too.

For tires, I agree with Coupe5oh.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 09:58 AM   #6
drudis

I did the HPMotorsport SOLID mounts on the tranny and POLY on the trans:

http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote