MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2002, 12:57 AM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Default Motor is stripped, some dumb questions.

1. Any clean up I can do to the block, pistons, lifters etc. while I have the block stripped down and before I start reassembling?
2. Is there any particular degreaser or cleaner I can use to clean things up while I'm in there?
3. Do I need to soak the lifters in oil or coat them with assembly lube before I put the new heads on?
4. Is there anything I should do, maintenance wise while I have the engine stripped?

I just want to make sure I don't overlook something and be mad because I have to tear it down and do something I should have done the first time. Anyway, I appreciate any help and/or advice. Thanks...
Chris
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:53 AM   #2
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

Chris,

I have the same project going on in my garage. I am going with an E cam, Twisted Wedges, and Street heat manifold. Just got the heads off tonight.

I was wondering the same things you have posted. I know the engine builders must have helpful hints. I'm also curious about tricks (besides being careful) for keeping all the junk out of the water jackets, cylinders, and bolt holes as everything gets cleaned up. Aside from vacumming the loose dirt and coolant out of the cylinders, how do you make sure there is no crud lodged above the first ring & between the piston and cylinder. Seems like anything in there could lead to problems - am I being to anal?

Dan
Spec Service (UHP), BFG G-Force KDW's, Turbo Coupe 3.55 rear w/disks, 73mm calipers, Stg 1 Twisted Wedges, TFS Street Intake, 70mm TB, E cam, Crane 1.7's, Aeromotive FPR, BBK 1 5/8 shorties, elec fan, FMS Al Radiator, Moroso Wires, Kenne Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, 190 lph Walbro, FMS Al Dshaft, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C spngs, strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, Prothane bushings, MM Lwr Conrol Arms, KB welded subs, Cervini Mach 1 hood/valence/side skirts/wing/airdam.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 11:08 AM   #3
PKRWUD

If you're down to a bare block, wash it thoroughly with soap and water, tap all threads, dry (compressed air works best), coat everything with engine oil and seal it in a large yard trash bag until you actually start the reassembly.

Upon reassembly, coat everything involved with the cam (cam/lifters/rockers) with an engine assembly lube. You can't be too generous when doing this. In otherwords, use alot! If the lifters are new, submerge them in a coffee can with engine oil and try to pump out all the air you can from each with an old pushrod.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:54 AM   #4
chris91LX
Registered Member

Hey Chris (PKRWUD), thanks for the info, haven't talked to ya in a while. Actually have weather here in Chicago to wash the car. Bunch of folks going to the track on Sunday (sunny and 55* supposedly) but I doubt I'll have it together by then. Thanks again and I hope all is well with you.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:55 PM   #5
PKRWUD

Hey Chris (GREAT NAME!),
How are you doing? I'm staying kinda busy. Tonight is the first meeting of the year at Ventura Raceway, which means we'll be racing again pretty soon. We won the championship last year, and are going to try for it again this year. My website tells the story better than I do. Check it out.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote