MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to use a two step? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=33978)

ciara 02-16-2003 02:52 AM

How to use a two step?

I have an MSD two step on my car with a 3500 chip in it for launch. My question is when I am staged should I bring the rpm up to just above 3500 when it starts to stutter, or should I floor the pedal? If I should floor it will that hurt the engine any or help my 1/4 mile time.

sn95gt19 02-16-2003 03:12 AM

you have a momentary button, so when your staged just push the button and floor it, and it will stay at whatever rpm the chip is. the whole point of a 2 step is that you'll have consistant launches and you wont have to worry about playing with the gas pedal to get the rpm right. this way you can just floor it. when your ready to launch let off the button. and pop the clutch.
it will help your 1/4 mile times if you can hook launching at that rpm, and no it wont damage your engine, its just a 3500 rpm rev limiter, and msd pulls spark not gas so you dont have to worry about running lean.

sn95gt19 02-16-2003 03:23 AM

sorry, i just saw your other post, you have a 4000 stall and the manufacturer said to launch 500 under that, does your converter really stall to 4000 or is that what its rated at? im guessing your getting about 3700 stall out of it. if you wanted to launch at 3500 just hook the 2 step up to your trans brake, if you havent already, like i said before you just floor it, and in your case you will have the trans brake working, converter stalling, and the 2 step limiting your rpms to 3500.

you might not get a better 60' but it will definitely be more consistant, and you can concentrate on other things besides feathering the gas pedal to get it where you want it

gtsr515 02-16-2003 08:15 PM

2-step

Well, I must ask why your using a 2-step?...are you bracket racing for money?

A 2-step rev-limiter is very good for cutting consistant lights....IF...your car is set up for it, ie..slicks, suspension, control arms, etc.......

I totally disagree that a 2-step is harmless to your car, when your stutter stepping with that 2-step........you ARE putting lots of load on bearings and such.

My 2 cents..................

Jay

sn95gt19 02-17-2003 12:39 AM

Re: 2-step

Quote:

Originally posted by gtsr515
Well, I must ask why your using a 2-step?...are you bracket racing for money?

A 2-step rev-limiter is very good for cutting consistant lights....IF...your car is set up for it, ie..slicks, suspension, control arms, etc.......

I totally disagree that a 2-step is harmless to your car, when your stutter stepping with that 2-step........you ARE putting lots of load on bearings and such.

My 2 cents..................

Jay

the msd takes out a little spark on opposing cylinders to eliminate that, i know its that way for the ignition boxes, dont know about the 2 step box though.
IMO-a trans brake is going to put way more stress on everything than a 2 step, i wouldnt be worried about it.