MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   MSD Boost Timing Master. A Good Thing To Use With A Twin Turbo? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=412)

BowTie Eater 5 Liter 01-20-2001 07:24 PM

MSD Boost Timing Master. A Good Thing To Use With A Twin Turbo?

I was wondering if it would be a smart choice to use a MSD Boost Timing Master With a Twin Turbo Stang.
I havent started the mods yet (Only 15), but this is my future setup.
2.5"flowmaster cat-back, bassani 2.5" off rd X-pipe, 3.55 gears, south side lift bars & upper control arms, csi electric waterpump, Flex-a-lite electric fan, svo 65mm t-body & egr,Crane hi-6 ignition & PS-91 coil, mass air conversion, & last but not least a Incon Twin Turbo Kit.
I dont know if it really needs the boost timing master, So thats why i'm asking you.

thanks

BowTie Eater 5 Liter 01-20-2001 11:25 PM

Please someone Reply.
Anyone?

Mont 01-21-2001 02:50 AM

since you'll be running boost I would get a MSD6-BTM or the Crane HI-6TRC. There the thing as you want but there a boost retard and a ignition box in one.

------------------
'89 LX Supercharged DSS 357, 11 lbs Powerdyne, Downs Box intake, ported GT-40 heads, lockwired, Crane Cam 1.6 rockers, Ford Motorsport cam, Oil cooler, Moroso oil evac kit, Taylor 10mm wires, MAC 70mm T/B, 30lb injectors, Vortech fuel rails, Pro M 75mm Mass air, Vortech T-Rex Fuel pump, 255lph intank pump, K&N, Cobra R radiator, custom chip, MSD6-BTM, Lakewood bellhousing, Tremec Trans, Pro 5.0 shifter, MAC headers and X-pipe, Dynomax race mufflers, Lakewood drag shock and struts, Aluminun driv

MDM 01-21-2001 02:54 AM

I use a MSD6BTM on my vortech motor and it does a great job of keeping the fires lit and detonaton in check. I think it is a good fit on any forced induction car. Talk to Incon and see what they recommend as well.

turbolx 01-21-2001 01:29 PM

First of all, ditch the Flowmaster idea with the turbos. Chambered mufflers and turbos don't agree, use a set of Dynomax super turbo or Ultra-Flow mufflers instead. You're looking at a solid 15 hp difference between them.

Second, ditch the elctric water pump and flex-a-lite fan. Save your money and run the factory pulley/pump setup (no underdrives) and an SN95 electric fan if you must switch. Running the SN95 fan will likely require a 130amp alternator though.

RE the BTM, your money would probably be better spent having someone who is familiar with turbo tuning burn you a custom chip instead of using the BTM. The response characteristics of the Incon kits require a bit of a unique timing curve that the BTM can't really do. The upside to the chip is that you will also end up having your fuel tables put exactly where they need to be, resulting in more power, and less chance of detonation.

Southside lift bars can also be hell on the torque boxes. If you must use them, plan on reinforcing the frame near the torque boxes before they decide to crack. http://www.mustangworks.com/interact...board/wink.gif

------------------
Greg Banish
President, Detroit Speedworks, Inc.
'93 LX Turbocharged Road Racer
'00 Bad-Ass F150

BowTie Eater 5 Liter 01-21-2001 02:55 PM

What are torque boxes?
I plan on using a termec TKO & 3.55 gears

jonathan 01-21-2001 06:41 PM

Bowtie Eatr :

I see you're in maple ridge,
There is a shop in langley, "chief chassis" that does great work on mustangs, he can fabricate and weld up a superstrong set of torque boxes for you (the place on your car where the control arms are attached,
Other good shops are pro gas engineering, and spirit racing.

if you know someone who can weld good, you can always buy a set of battle boxes from www.wolferacecraft.com

BowTie Eater 5 Liter 01-21-2001 06:57 PM

jonathan.
What kind of stang you got?
My dad owns a bodyshop in Maple Ridge & can weld good!(my car is in the shop because i bought it smashed, the previous owner slid it under a semi truck while doing doughnuts. Primering it next sat.)