MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2001, 09:00 PM   #1
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Question Out of the ordinary muffler question...

Ok I'm lookin to get a new cat back system for my stang, the problem is I want to get a quiet system. I'm actually looking for the quietest idle and cruising sound I can get, but with a little rumble when I lay into it. The car is a sleeper and the flowmaster sound is the only hint that it has any balls. I'm not looking to go any quieter than an stock GT or Cobra, but I don't want to buy stock mufflers, they are too restrictive. Does anyone have any opinions on what I should get? Price is a factor.

Phantom

------------------
1983 GLX Convertible 5-Speed, knife-edged crank, internally balanced, TRW 11:1, custom cam, ported Windsor Jrs, Manley Valves, CCs roller lifters, dual springs, ARP stud kit, 600cfm Edelbrock Torker 2, Mallory Ignition, Canton 7qt traps windage tray baffles, Hooker Super Comp Headers 1 5/8 primaries 3" collectors, Flowmasters, K&N, ASP puleys, Maximum Motorsports C/Cs strut tower K member brace, through floor subframes, Grant wheel, billet pedals, 93 seats, Keystone rims
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 11:01 PM   #2
Cannon
Registered Member

How about the Dynomax turbo catback system, you can find it in mustangs unlimited, or nextgenparts. Well man good luck in the hunt!

------------------
1989 mustang GT mildly modified,flowmaster exhaust,pro dumps,hotchkins upper and lower control arms, ebiach springs,koni shocks,pro5.0shifter,chrome moly weld in subframe connectors,new interior now a 2 seater,8pt chrome moly roll bar and HAL K-member,coilovers,castercambers,Auburn Pro Locker,3:73's Strange Splines 31 tooth c-clip eliminators.
Mass Mustang Club
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 11:19 PM   #3
84_GT350
Registered Member

Steeda sells some super quiet mufflers that are barely louder than stock. And as far I know they only get slightly louder when you lay into the throttle. They're pricey though. I can't remember how much, but I think they're over $200/pair.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:14 AM   #4
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Man thats pretty steep for just mufflers, I can get a whole cat back system for a little over $200! Oh well if thats what I hafta do then so be it. I looked into the Dynomax system, I can only find the Super Turbo system, and that is louder than the Turbo kit. Can I get the kit w/ the turbos instead?

Phantom

------------------
1983 GLX Convertible 5-Speed, knife-edged crank, internally balanced, TRW 11:1, custom cam, ported Windsor Jrs, Manley Valves, CCs roller lifters, dual springs, ARP stud kit, 600cfm Edelbrock Torker 2, Mallory Ignition, Canton 7qt traps windage tray baffles, Hooker Super Comp Headers 1 5/8 primaries 3" collectors, Flowmasters, K&N, ASP puleys, Maximum Motorsports C/Cs strut tower K member brace, through floor subframes, Grant wheel, billet pedals, 93 seats, Keystone rims

[This message has been edited by Phantom5oh (edited 04-05-2001).]
Old 04-05-2001, 04:21 PM   #5
84stangLX

I have the flowtech warlock turbo mufflers and they're very quiet even without cats and 2 1/2 mandrel bent tubing. Very throaty sound and i haven't even had a cop give a second look when i cruise by.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* thermostat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, smog pump idler, now with hi-po collapsed lifters in #3 or #4
Old 04-06-2001, 03:52 PM   #6
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

84stanglx just how loud are the warlocks compared to stock sound levels?

------------------
Old 04-08-2001, 11:48 AM   #7
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Anybody have anything to add? What about the MAC mufflers, they are spossed to be quieter than Flowmasters.

------------------
Old 04-08-2001, 02:51 PM   #8
tra9379
Registered Member

I think MAC Flowpaths are louder than the American Thunder by Flowmaster. THey have a rumble at idle on my car, and if you're looking for quiet, I qouldn't recommend them.
tra9379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Thanks, although thats not good news, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find quiet mufflers that are somewhat perormance oriented.

Phantom
Old 04-09-2001, 08:58 AM   #10
Jaydee
Registered Member

For what its worth, I have 2 chamber flows on my 87 LX and Dynomax super turbos on my 65 HiPo. The Dynomax set up is much more subdued than the flowmasters at idle and cruising speeds but still have a good bark under acceleration.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, 5 spd, stock heads (minor porting) and intake, 65mmTB, 3.55's, ram air, pulleys, shorty's, 2.5" exhaust with cats 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 12:33 PM   #11
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Thats worth a ton, any opinion is a good opinion. I need as many suggestions as I can. I know most of you are looking for loud exhaust, but somewhere there has to be people with relatively quiet cars. I'm not looking for Lincolin quiet.

Phantom
Old 04-10-2001, 02:52 AM   #12
84stangLX

sorry about the delayed response. The stock exhaust on my car was REAL quiet since it was single exhaust but i'd say it got about as loud as stock new Firebird/Camaro exhaust (i've driven a T/A ws6 ram air). I didn't want loud exhaust either and i read an article in car craft magazine (July '99) comparing mufflers on a 400+hp chevy 350 that decided it for me. The flowtech mufflers are called afterburners (same ones on my car) here's what car craft said: "CC's overall sound quality-coolness award would go to Flowtech's Afterburners, which evoked a bit of '60's chambered exhaust sound without being overly blaring or irritating." The mufflers are about as loud as Dynomax Super Turbos and produced a similar amount of power. You said though, that you think super turbos are too loud, but it's much quieter than i anticipated especially with no cats. I'd also say that they're quieter than flowmaster 3 chambers. Another thing that makes my exhaust pretty quiet is that i actually got the GT pipes instead of the megaphone style LX tips, so it doesn't amplify and it directs the sound down rather than out, which may actually make a huge difference...well i dont know what else to say besides good luck, i hope you find what you're looking for.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* thermostat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, smog pump idler, now with hi-po collapsed lifters in #3 or #4