MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2001, 11:19 PM   #1
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Question Mustang Road Trip/ I need your tips

I am going to Conneticut this month from Miami Florida to work up there for 5 months.
What are your suggestions in getting the car ready for this trip. I haved change the transmission fluid 1 1/2 year ago and the rear end but the car was driven for about 5,500 miles since then. So what about Timming, plugs, wires, tires presure. Im thinking of also putting a 195 degree thermo because of the cold weather up there. But the good thing is that once Im up there, the car will be in storage.

Your suggestions are welcome.

------------------
89 Intercepter
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe, Flow Master,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree,Short Belt 14 degree Timming, No Air Silencer, And All Police Package
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 11:44 PM   #2
90LSC
Registered Member

Make sure you have a credit card handy in case of big problems. Perhaps even spend the money now and join AAA. That way you have towing service EVERYWHERE you go.

For the car I would take the time to go over the engine compartment with a fine tooth comb. Look at the belt. If it has too many cracks, change it. Check EVERY hose. If you are not 100% happy with a hose, change it. If I were you I would set the timing at 10-12. I say this 'cause it is too easy to get crappy gas when on the road. It also would cost less to travel on mid grade instead of premium.

Since you will be traveling in winter, make sure you have a blanket, good gloves, water and some snacks in the trunk or back seat.

I'm sure others will have advice too. Be safe
90LSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 12:23 AM   #3
dirtyGT
Registered Member

Talking

Everything 90lsc said plus check your brakes, alinment, tires,and you should be ok.Good luck and watch out for the ediots out there on the road

------------------
86GT-MACcatback-89heads,intake,TB,KENNYBROWNsubs,3.73's,HURST shifter,much more to come
dirtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 04:05 AM   #4
LOCASH
Registered Member

Check the air in your spare, make sure your jack works and make sure you have a lugwrench. Make sure you have plenty of washer fluid also. The salt and water gets all over your windshield. I bought a car and realized after I got a flat that I did not have a lug wrench > Good luck and be safe.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Crutchfield front kick panel speakers.
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 12:55 PM   #5
RobertD
Registered Member

I actually have alot of experience in this subject. I regularly drive my Stangs to Mississippi and Atlanta from West Texas. Here is the checklist I use:

1. Hoses and antifreeze
2. Check Tires and alignment (including spare)
3. Engine oil and tranny fluid change
4. Belt check (buy a spare)
5. Air pump check (I've had one freeze on me) if you can take a used spare.
6. Extra heater hoses (in case of core failure)
7. Extra hose clamps
8. Rain-X
9. Tools and jack
10. Extras of all fluids
11. Complete Tune-up
12. Check lights
13. Credit card
14. Cell phone
15. Gloves and blankets

I actually take the alternator, belt, air pump and tensioner off of my other car to take as a spare! You can never be to safe. Make sure that you check all fluids every time that you stop for gas. If you get all of this done not only will you have peace of mind, you'll have everything you need in case of an emergency. Good luck!

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 04:24 PM   #6
cleangreenmachine

Gotta go with 90LSC here. DEFINITELY get AAA if you don't already have. Not only can they give you a tow if needed, but they'll also bring gas if you run out and can fish the keys out of your car if you lock 'em in (I'm notorius for the last two). Plus, the jumper cable on the tow truck is enough to cold-crank a Boeing 747.

Godspeed and have fun!

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 01-05-2001, 06:17 PM   #7
teal93LX
Registered Member

hey, nobody thought of this....
DONT FORGET YOUR GUN!!
as they say, better to have and not need than to need and not have..

------------------
stock aod (only mod is the .38 with hollows on the passenger seat for the jackers) waiting for relatives to die for money for mods...
teal93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 12:46 AM   #8
yusuf
Registered Member

As soon as my '65 was rebuilt top to bottom, including a new engine, transmission, brakes, etc., I jumped in it and drove 1500 miles to California. I mean like the day it was ready, not tested or broken in. I brought no tools, because (1) I don't own any, and (2) I don't know how to use them. I chose all the parts for the car (including the long block) and had my friend put it together for some $$$; you could say I engineered the car but did not wrench it.

Anyways, I don't recommend this, I mostly did it just for the sake of adventure. I made it, eventually. AAA and a credit card are necessary items to bring along.

The car wasn't registered, either.
yusuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 01:44 AM   #9
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Hey thanks guys, I have got some things ready. I even bought ther X-1R Lubricants for Fuel and Engine. I haved already rotated and balance my tires and checked the presure to. The oil and tranny will be done 4 days before I live. Oh, yeah One question. My flowmaster look alright I think? but from where the muffers end to the tail pipes, are all full of holes. Will this decrease my performance or should I go ahead and change the system.
Thanks again

------------------
89 Intercepter
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe, Flow Master,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree,Short Belt 14 degree Timming, No Air Silencer, And All Police Package
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote