MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-31-2001, 11:38 AM   #1
CmS1994MustangGT
Registered Member

Post Got lots of miles and dont know what to do next?

Hello everyone. this is my first post so ill do my best. i got a 94GT back in desember. it has 3:73 gears, 65mm TB, headers, K&N, Borla exhaust, and a off road H-pipe might be replaceing my stock. its silver with a cobra R hood, cobra front bumper and 99 cobra rims. the only problem is that i now have 102000 miles. what can i do with out blowing up teh motor like my buddy did with his 95GT? do i need a new motor or can i do a couple more bolts to get me better high end. thanks everyone who responds.
CmS1994MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 12:35 PM   #2
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Sweet ride.

You should start opening up the intake side of things. Don't worry, this won't blow-up the motor. If you do end up needing a new motor someday, you can re-use the intake. Maybe, some heads and roller rocker arms a little later later down the road.

------------------
Eric - 89 Mustang LX coupe
302 - Cobra Intake - GT40p heads - TFS stage 1 cam - FRPP 1.6 roller rockers - Naturally Aspirated
3:73 gears - KYB shocks and struts - Eibach springs - HPM Mega-bite Jr lower control arms - HPM upper control arms
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 12:42 PM   #3
cvenom96
Registered Member

You could also get a new mass air meter and maybe a new chip. Just make sure you get one made for the mods you have to your car.

------------------
96 Crystal White Cobra Coupe
4:10 gears, off-road h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, K&N, pulleys, FMS springs, polyurethane bushing, Steeda Caster/Camber plates
cvenom96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 02:52 PM   #4
LoneRanger
Registered Member

Smile

First I would make sure that the engine is making good compression (compression test) and not burning any oil or leaking any A/F and if you want to make more power on the upper end you might want to consider installing new performance heads with roller rockers. This will freshen up the top half of the motor increasing its life and giving you the desired boost in acceleration. You also might want to consider an aftermarket intake to complement the T.B. and the new heads. Jeff
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 07:26 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Jeff is right, partly. The very first thing you should do is to check the compression, twice. Dry the first time and wet (add three oil can squirts of motor oil into each spark plug hole just before testing each cylinder) the second time. If there is a big difference between the dry readings and the wet readings (25psi or more), your rings are going bad. The higher the psi difference, the worse your rings are. If the difference is 35 psi or more, it's time to rebuild. If the difference is 25 psi or more, do not install new heads. Doing so will tighten up the top end, which in turn will put more pressure on the rings, and accelerate their wear. This in turn will allow for oil contamination, which will accelerate wear on everything the oil touches, including your new heads, valve guides and rockers, not to mention increase the cylinder's out-of-round, which, when combined with the added pressure, will lead to cracked piston skirts (see below). If your psi difference is below 20, then heads and an intake would be fine. A cam and a new timing chain set would be nice too, but with that many miles, you may want to opt for a set of 1.70 rockers instead.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 12:49 AM   #6
Patrick Boetticher
Registered Member

hows it goin, welcome to the board... ummm how come you dont wanna blow your motor and trans like i did??? well talk to you later... see you at work...
Patrick Boetticher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 03:34 AM   #7
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Didnt you goto Carlsbad with Patrick and all of us?

Sounds like that car from the description?

You need to get it to the track see where your at. 100k isnt bad for a stang if its in good shape. Do the compressoin test and see where your at. Then just deciede how far you wanna go and everyone here can help you out.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:42 AM   #8
Patrick Boetticher
Registered Member

sky, he did go w/all of us... his third grinds pretty bad (like mine does, or did) so i think he wants to do somehting aobut that... but i dunno his car...

------------------
ALL NEW PPG Torch Red 95GT, 304ci block, Forged pistons, Ported Explorer Intake, E-303 cam, fully ported and polished and milled E-7 heads, 75mm MAS, BBK Adj. fuel Reg & gauge, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK H-pipe, March Pulleys, 2 Chamber Flowmasters, Kenny Brown 6 point Roll cage, Kenny Brown Panhard Bar, Powerslot Rotors, PBR twin piston calipers, Eibach Sportline Springs, 180* Thermostat, 1/2 Plenum Spacer, MSD 6AL, MSD Master Blaster, MSD 8.8 Wires, 24# Racing Injectors, AFS 10.5" Cobra R's, Nit
Patrick Boetticher is offline   Reply With Quote