MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2001, 04:17 AM   #1
Just me
Registered Member

Post My clothes smell like gas

I got this problem guys. Every time I come home from cruising, my roomate says my clothes smells like gas. I don't notice any gas smell from inside the car when the windows are up, but when their down I do notice an unburned fuel smell at idle. I expect this considering my mods. What I've noticed lately when I drive the car a good 50 miles or so and shut down, if I pop the hood I can smell gas in the engine bay. First thing I did was check for leaky injectors but their fine. If I stick my head in there and sniff around(doesn't sound good lol), I can smell the gas coming from my conical. That seems to be the only place. Well I checked my plugs and their all burning perfect. I've done every test(compression, leakdown, etc.), everything is fine. I get the check engine light flash on for a couple of seconds when I accelerate quarter throttle. I've checked my TPS and EGR, and bought new o2 sensors begining of 99 but have been through alot of testing and tuning since then. my car runs rough for about five minutes on a cold start. How do I clean my o2's? Anyway, can anyone help? Sorry for the 2 part novel.
Thanks. Here are my specs:

Just me
91'lx fresh 302 block, crank pulley, no smog, short belt, Wolverine 1087 cam, 15 deg timing, TFS TW heads, motorsport 1.6 3/8 stud RR, ARP studs, TFS chrome hardened push rods, 24lb inj, BBK 255lph fuel pump, Areomotive billet adj FPR, Performer RPM intake(ported to 75mm), 1" spacer, Motorsport polished tall valve covers(love em), Pro-M 77(calibrated for 24lb inj), Acufab 75mm TB, Ford idle air bypass valve, K&N conical, MSD 6AL and coil, 9mm MS cables, NGK bkr5e plugs@55, motorsport 3 core radiator,160 thermostat, Hurst short throw, motorsport 410 gears, aluminum drive shaft, Sub frames, Mac 1 3/4"Long tube, custom 3"off road xpipe, 2 chamber Flow Masters, 3 1/2" tailpipes HAL tubular K-member, Lakewood 70/30, 50/50, Welds 3 1/2"front & 15x8rear 5 1/2 space, Steeda 2.5" Cowl, Steeda rear wing, black Dupont centari acrylic enamel paint. Going for an electric fan setup with a blower.
Just me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 05:04 AM   #2
fordmanck
Registered Member

I had the same cam you have in my last car and had the same problem. but I had TFS heads but they were High Ports, I also had High Flow cats on my car. I had it looked at by the shop that built the motor and they didn't find anything. It could just be coincidence, but I figured I would let you know.

[This message has been edited by fordmanck (edited 01-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by fordmanck (edited 01-04-2001).]
fordmanck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 11:38 AM   #3
Capri306

Check the plastic & rubber lines going to the vapor canister. We had the same problem on someone's 92 GT back in high school auto shop (it also, coincidentally, had a leaking injector o-ring, but I spotted the vapor lines first). Those lines get cracked easily because of their location, but I think that's what you're smelling, if you're smelling gas around the air filter. Heck, the canister's right below it! One tube goes all the way back to the gas tank, another goes to the intake manifold. The canister itself could be cracked, too, so check everything out. Good luck.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch <--- New Timeslips
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 12:04 PM   #4
JamGtStang
Registered Member

Just me... My friend had the same problem take it to GAW Racing they fixed it there i think was the vapor lines of the canister but I'm not sure

305 477 5433 they are really good but expensive whole cost about $45 dollars
JamGtStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 12:57 AM   #5
Just me
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I checked the canister and forgot that I had removed the tube that goes
to my intake cause the RPM EFI cancels that tube out. DUH! Thanks again guys. Ill put a cap on the canister where the tube used to come out from. I'll also check the other tube. fordmanck, I believe its this cam and head setup also. Thanks for the info.
Just me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 02:45 PM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

if its not that then check for exhaust leaks..or if you run dumps the fumes can come in by the hatch

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote