MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2002, 11:17 PM   #1
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

Question Is my clutch slippin or am i trippin?

hey guys wats up? for the past week or so when i have been driven my 89 gt, in third and fourth gear when i reach about 4000 rpm my car feels like its stalling just a little. i just added the 3.73 gears to my ride and advanced the timing to about 131/2 degrees. i also run 92 octane 76 gasoline. i just got a new center force stage 1 clutch put in (last march) i really hope its not the clutch , i heard that they dont last as long as a stock clutch , if you arent driving the stock one like a mad man that is. when i say its stalling its more along the lines of hestitating just a little. if any body can give me some advice or suggestion to what the real problem could be i would really apericiate it. i heard that advancing the timing causes "detonation". can that be the problem.. thanks guys

PS:should i use a cooler thermostat since i am running around 14 degrees timing? thanks
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 01:16 AM   #2
fordgasm
Registered Member

When the new clutch was put in did you also install a new clutch cable and quadrant? Preferably an aftermark quadrant, the stock one will not hold up to a heavier than stock clutch. Cable stretch or quadrant problems can give you fits.

14 degress of timing usually is fine, but every car is different, if you run too much timing and experience detonation you can hear it pinging.

You don't need a cooler thermostat to run more timing, if it detonates back off the timing.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:31 AM   #3
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

That does not sound like a slipping clutch. If your clutch slips, it will not grab tight enough, and it will feel like the clutch is not engaged when you try to push the car hard like up hill or low speed in 4th etc, ie the revs will jump up and the car will not move with it.

Sounds like another problem like fuel delivery, if you jump on it hard in 1st and 2nd does it feel this way too? not enough info to guess

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 09:03 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Weak valve springs?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:07 PM   #5
gtsr515
Registered Member

If your clutch is slipping, you should see a slight increase in RPM's without the feeling of accelleration, when this "slipping" feeling occurs next, really beat on the car and see if you can "make" it slip, did you resurface your flywheel with the new clutch? It may be because the cluth needs a little heat to grab right, I suggest a real good "test beat" session, also, some repair manual tell you to place something soft between the front bumper and a brick wall and slowly let out the clutch in 3rd or 4rth gear, if this kills/stalls the car, your okay, this method works pretty good.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:13 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Steve
Car looks great!! Now let's see pics of the bike!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-05-2002, 03:43 PM   #7
fordgasm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Steve
Car looks great!! Now let's see pics of the bike!

Take care,
-Chris
Thanks Chris....the bike is in the corner of the garage in front of the Mustang waiting for the snow to go away. Soon I will be making a couple of modifications to it (I can't leave anything alone ) but as soon as it is done I'll post a couple for ya.

Steve
Old 02-06-2002, 01:38 AM   #8
PKRWUD

I'm looking forward to seeing them!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-09-2002, 03:44 AM   #9
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

Talking

thanks for all the help guys, i really apreciate it , ne wayz i went an changed the plugs on and cap and rotor and the problem vanished. when i pulled out the plugs they were completely white . i guess i gaped em to far, whoops. well now i dont seem to lose any power in the higher rpms ne more. while i was at it i made a fake ram air intake through the fog light. does any body have any opinoins on that . i feel a lttle diff when im driving, but is there any way i can make it better. right now i just ran a 4 inch tube from the fog light to the silencer and modfied the silencer so that it doesnt silence any more. i even covered the hole at the fog light with some screen from the window department at home depot. it only ended up costing me about 35 dollars. ne more suggestions. thanks!!!
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote