MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-16-2001, 08:54 PM   #1
RobertD
Registered Member

Post New engine combo

OK, so after some extensive research and Microsoft Excel to budget..I've come to this conclusion.

-Stock block rebuilt in town with forged pistons .030 over
-Crane 2031 cam
-Ford GT-40X aluminum heads (or any other recommendation with 1.9 intake valve...I need low end torque as it will be a daily driver)

Since I'm getting the engine rebuilt now I don't want to stay stock. I'll be replacing the "tougher to change" parts first. I'll keep the stock AOD (Transgo) and the 3.27 rear. The fuel injectors will stay stock till I can get the 24 lbers. The intake will be the bottleneck for about 6 months until I get a Cobra.

Does it fit together? I don't want to have to do this twice.

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 06:46 PM   #2
oldman
Registered Member

I'm finishing putting my oldest son's 306 in this week and he is in much the same predicament you are. We agreed to build the bottom end to be as tough as he could afford with plans to add more equipment later. Basically it's like yours, .030 over forged pistons, 9.5:1 comp. ratio. Crank, flywheel, piston/rod assemblies balanced to +/- .5 gram. F303 cam (this was his idea, I hope it works) The rods are stock, resized, beams polished, and resized with ARP's.
For now, the stock heads got a pocket port job and all ports were massaged and port matched as well as polishing all of the runners, from the intake down. BBK long tubes with Flowmaster American Thunder pipes and mufflage. He already put 3:55's in it last year.
With any luck, the bottom end will serve him well with the rest of the mods he plans as money appears (intake, 24# injectors, 65mm TB and some Trick flow heads)
My philosophy is to add one part at a time to fully evaluate the improvement that part makes before adding the next piece.
I don't know if you are going down the right road but at least you know there's someone else out here headed the same way, hope it works.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 11:10 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

RobertD, what about a larger T/B and exhaust system?? I don't think you would be ready for 24# injectors until you had those and a different intake.
Somebody feel free to correct me if I am wrong though. I am slowly starting to learn about fuelie setups.

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 09:17 PM   #4
RobertD
Registered Member

The car has an off-road H-pipe and 2 Chamber Flows. Basically I want a good aluminum cylinder head that won't give me issues down the line. Edelbrock heads wear the valve seats, Holleys burn oil, GT-40X's burn oil. Doesn't someone make a really good head? I want to runa another 75,000-100,000 miles again.

I'd get Twisted Wedge but I hear you really lose some low end with them becasue of the 2.02 intake valves. I can't have that.

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 10:28 PM   #5
faststang90
Registered Member

airflow research heads are good head better than the gt40x and i would not get cobra or gt40 intanks get victors 5.0 or trick flows or holleys and get bigger inj 30# and it will be a low 12 sec car
faststang90 is offline   Reply With Quote